Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommended Oil for 2000 Ultra 150

Just got my first ever jet ski. Ended up with a 2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150, not bad for a noob. Well anyway, the oil level is a little low and the owner I bought it from was just a car salesman so he didn't know too much about it. Everything was fine otherwise and it performed great when I tested it. What oil should I use for it? Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPirate23 View Post
    Just got my first ever jet ski. Ended up with a 2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150, not bad for a noob. Well anyway, the oil level is a little low and the owner I bought it from was just a car salesman so he didn't know too much about it. Everything was fine otherwise and it performed great when I tested it. What oil should I use for it? Thanks!
    Kawasaki oil, don't use amsoil! After amsoil fried 3 engines, I switched back to Kawsaki's oil and it runs like a champ. Every 5 hrs it fried running amsoil, switched back to Kawi and it been over 30 with no issues. nothing changed, just the oil.

Some other oils are good, just not amsoil in a oil injected ski.

+1
    Wow! I've never heard anything bad about Amsoil. They have a number of different oils, perhaps you weren't using the correct one for injection or something.

I don't use Amsoil because I don't like the way they market it. Used to be you had to find a local guy that sold it from the trunk of his car.

There are many good synthetic oils out there. Island Racing has a bunch of them. Klotz is probably one of the best you'll find, but pricey. I like Blue Marble myself.

Banned User
    +1
    From what I have heard, the Amsoil 2 stroke oils are so-so. There are better choices out there. Their four stroke oils are hard to beat though. I run them in all of my vehicles.

Thanks for all the tips, I think I'll just go with the Kawasaki Performance- 2 stroke for jet ski's...keep it simple

I have read many of the forums regarding this topic and there was a guy that had 380 hours on his machine with no issues and always used the same oil. Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus TCW-3. I have tried all oils listed above and I have used the Pennzoil for over 170 hours so far and am very pleased. Not one issue and its about $4.70 a quart at your local Walmart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Wow! I've never heard anything bad about Amsoil. They have a number of different oils, perhaps you weren't using the correct one for injection or something.

I don't use Amsoil because I don't like the way they market it. Used to be you had to find a local guy that sold it from the trunk of his car.

There are many good synthetic oils out there. Island Racing has a bunch of them. Klotz is probably one of the best you'll find, but pricey. I like Blue Marble myself.
    Let me add what I found with amsoil, its ok for premix, but in an injected ski, there oil tends to thicken up over time. Something evaporates out of thier oil. so if it sits in your tank and you winter store, by spring, it can be very thick.
    After my 3rd break down, I did a little test.
    Put some kawi oil and some amsoil in a little saucer, left it 1 week, and at the end of the week, the amsoil was very thick,like heavy oil, and the kawi oil was the same as the day i had opened it. So imagine what happens in the tank over time on a ski that may be just a weekend rider.

+1
    Interesting.

I have always used Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus TCW-3 (synthenic blend),in my skis and even in my tripple pipe ski and have never had an issue. And I beat the crap out of them!!
    A 5 gallon jug goes for around $16.00 at the local Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts.
    Much cheaper than the Kawi Lube at the local dealers.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    hard to go wrong with a branded jetski oil. try not to change brands that often..it's been said that some oils don't mix well. I gave up on amsoil ( long story..nothing to do with the oil itself) and started buying cases of kawasaki semi synthetic oil ( smells like the old school days) I only sell seadoo full synthetic as I have some DI rfi customers but mostly sell seadoo mineral and the kaw semi-synthetic. I've read more then a number of issues with yamaha oils ( which come in a number of variants)

given the high output nature of the ultra..I'd go with a kawasaki branded oil for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information