2001 slx 1200 rev limiter/limp mode?

I have a 2001 slx that Im fixing for a friend that hasnt ran in a couple years. The diaphrams were bad so I rebuilt the carbs now it starts right up idles and what not but as soon as I go to rev it it hits a consistent rev limiter. Im not sure what the rpm is or whats going on because the MFD doesn't work. Motor is sound compression is good its definitely hitting on all three. The motor is cool to0 on all three cylinders evenly by the touch of my hand. I did get rid of the oil injection I have the sender tied up in the full position to make sure that wasnt triggering a low oil condition. So what could cause the ski not to rev or limit itself? And what should the oil mix be on this Im running Klotz synthetic at 32:1 like my 785

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderyzed View Post
    I have a 2001 slx that Im fixing for a friend that hasnt ran in a couple years. The diaphrams were bad so I rebuilt the carbs now it starts right up idles and what not but as soon as I go to rev it it hits a consistent rev limiter. Im not sure what the rpm is or whats going on because the MFD doesn't work. Motor is sound compression is good its definitely hitting on all three. The motor is cool to0 on all three cylinders evenly by the touch of my hand. I did get rid of the oil injection I have the sender tied up in the full position to make sure that wasnt triggering a low oil condition. So what could cause the ski not to rev or limit itself? And what should the oil mix be on this Im running Klotz synthetic at 32:1 like my 785
    The only RPM limiting for the 01 SLX is overheat.

Disconnect the tan wire from the cdi, if the issue goes away, then you have a rev limit issue. If it does not, than you could have a fuel or ignition issue. If the problem goes away, you will need to test the temp sensor.

If you disconnect the temp sensor and check continuity, it should be open. If not, replace the sensor.

Hope this helps.

Attachment 273645
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000SLX.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	273647  

Thread Information