Thread: Pre-mixing?

Pre-mixing?

i have just done a top end rebuild on my xlt800, and i was think of changing it to premix instead of oil pump.

can anyone give me any advide on this, weather its a good idea or not

thanks

Its always a good idea, as long as you can remember to mix your gas.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Some like it, some think it's a pain in the butt.
    My opinion is if your oil pump works, buy some new lines and good clamps and let it go like that.
    I changed over to pre mix and regreted the aggrivation. I like to be able to gas-n-go.
    Again, just my opinion.

+1
    I pre-mix all my two strokes for three reasons

1) I always know I have the right amount of oil 40:1
    2) I do not have to worry about an oil line pooping off or oil pump failure.
    3) being the guy that rebuilds carbs. I can tell you that carbs that have pre-mixed fuel run through, them are cleaner inside and have little to no internal corrosion and last longer than ones that don't.

Thanks for all the advice

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    I pre-mix all my two strokes for three reasons

1) I always know I have the right amount of oil 40:1
    2) I do not have to worry about an oil line pooping off or oil pump failure.
    3) being the guy that rebuilds carbs. I can tell you that carbs that have pre-mixed fuel run through, them are cleaner inside and have little to no internal corrosion and last longer than ones that don't.
    very good advice.......you can keep x-tra oil in "propel water bottles" or any other container in case you need gas on the water.....I can remember when I was a kid the marina sold pre-mix gas out of the pump.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    very good advice.......you can keep x-tra oil in "propel water bottles" or any other container in case you need gas on the water.....I can remember when I was a kid the marina sold pre-mix gas out of the pump.
    I'd be very reluctant to mix the fuel in your ski's tank as you pump it full though...whenever I make mix fuel I always pour the oil into a jerry can, pump the gas into the can, and then mix it vigourously before pouring it into the tank of whatever's going to be burning it. I suppose if the marina or gas station you are going to be filling up at has a spare jerry can or something (clean, more importantly) to mix in that's fine, but I wouldn't expect that to be common.

The hassle of filling up on the water, or having to carry a jerry can to mix my fuel with wherever I go is what keeps me on injection.

+1
    I have been doing the bottle trick for years, pour in 5 gals worth of oil, add five gallons fuel, slosh the ski around a little, repeat if necessary. by the time you are back out on the water it is mixed, never a worry.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    True enough. My experience with this goes back to my old hardcore snowmobile days where I saw this "pour the oil in as I pump the gas" trick go horribly wrong on more than a few occasions when it failed to mix properly...but rocking a snowmobile is a lot more difficult than rocking a jetski.

How exactly do you know how much gas the ski is going to take all while pouring in the right amount of oil? Underestimate and you're left with the gas brimming at the filler cap without the ability to add more oil and mix it effectively? Overestimate and you end up with a really rich tank I guess?

When I ran my tank of premix breaking in my new top-end a few days ago I took a 20L Jerry Can to the gas station and had to fill it 2.5 times all while mixing the oil in stages, etc etc. It was a PITA and reminded me of why I was happy to ditch premix for 2-strokes 25-30 years ago when oil injection hit the snowmobile scene. Of course, there is that haunting reality of WHY I was breaking in a new top end (courtesy of my dropped oil line), but with the issue addressed and the lines super-duper secured now I'm happy to have it back.

+1
    thats why I do 5 gallon increments, pretty easy to tell wheter you can take 5 gals more or not. Hell my ski only holds 10 any ways.

Thread Information