Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tampa SeaDoo Crew TampaSpeedster's Avatar

Observations: New 2012 Challenger 210 SE 430hp

Hey what's up guys --- just recently traded my 2010 Challenger 180SE 255hp for a 2012 Challenger 210 SE 430hp and wanted to give a few initial impressions.

Size
    This is a large boat. If you've ever compared a Speedster 150 to a Challenger 180, this is the same as comparing the Challenger 180 to the Challenger 210. Not just in terms of length, but height, usable space and width --- we all know width is what gets the panties wet . I've already had 8 people on the boat (rated for 10) and never had any issues with being crowded.

Storage
    With almost 3x the cubic feet of storage over the Challenger 180, there is plenty of storage. You know you've told your woman to pack lightly before and they bring 2 coats, a fleece, pants, shorts, the largest bag of chips they can find, purse, dry bag, wet bag, clear bag etc. Just using 2 of the 6 major storage areas was able to swallow 8 life jackets and all of the girls gear, keeping the boat clutter-free.

Speed/Handling
    Going from the Speedster 150 to the Challenger 180 netted about a 10mph top speed loss (60 to 50mph) and a solid hit on the agility. I knew going in I may get a couple MPH back, but I figured this would be less playful. I am happy to report that is DEFINITELY not the case. This handles much more like my old Speedster 150 did, 180 degree turns and all. We were playing around last weekend and in fast corners it was rolling pretty strong against TheElite0nes new 2012 RXPX --- I'm sure he'll chime in. It planes instantly (0-30mph in just a couple seconds) and rolls up to a top speed of 57.4 mph so far --- break-in isn't fully complete yet. All in all, very impressed with the speed and agility.

Fuel Consumption
    I initially expected the twin-engine supercharged engines to be quite a bit worse but as I have read and calculated using the on-board fuel diagnostics, but once again I was pleasantly surprised. The best part is that I can cruise at 40mph and still be below 6000RPM, not even touching boost yet. At that rate I'm getting about 3mpg, for a total range of 132 miles at 40mph (44gal). The best fuel mileage comes just shy of that at 30mph getting 3.7mpg for a maximum range of 163 miles on a tank. I compared these results with a magazine test and they are both within a couple tenths --- so it seems to be on-par. I expect with idle time, playing around and some full throttle runs I'll average somewhere in the upper 2's per gallon. The Challenger 180SE was averaging in the mid 2's --- mainly because I was always cruising around 7k+ to maintain good speed any playfulness. The old Speedster 150 used to average about 4mpg, so being just 25% worse with 3x the weight and 2x the engines --- not too shabby.

Best Features
    I really like the new analog/digital gauge setup. Monitoring all the aspects of each engine individually is real cool, as is the auto-syncing of the 2 engines. While you're cruising along, you may notice one engine has just a hair more RPM than the other "SYNC" pops up and smooths out the difference automatically --- real cool! The transom seats have gotten rave reviews from the friends, as has the integrated wet-bar. Really, it's a wet-locker for skis and shit, but for those long days, throw 4 or 5 bags of ice in and they auto-drain keeping everything icy-cool.

Overall very happy with the trade and I look forward to putting some solid hours on it this summer.

Pics:

Picking it up the first day:

After work

Naples Boat Party

Trying the Ski Modes

Nice boat....

I'm wanting to upgrade my speeder 150 to a single engine challenger just because of price but I would really like to have the faster twin engine challenger. I mainly want more room but more speed would be good too. We dont drive really that far each time we go out so I dont have to fuel up each time. Nice write up. I think once I pay mine off i'll probably upgrade.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Do you get bounce at high throttle? I'm setting up a twin engine speedster wake and it bounces bad a higher speeds.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred703 View Post
    Nice boat....
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Overgreen View Post
    I'm wanting to upgrade my speeder 150 to a single engine challenger just because of price but I would really like to have the faster twin engine challenger. I mainly want more room but more speed would be good too. We dont drive really that far each time we go out so I dont have to fuel up each time. Nice write up. I think once I pay mine off i'll probably upgrade.
    Ya, the single engine Challenger is the 255 engine --- nice motor but its a lot of boat for the single. If you can't swing the twin supercharged, at least get the 310hp model --- you'll be flowing a lot more volume of water.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Do you get bounce at high throttle? I'm setting up a twin engine speedster wake and it bounces bad a higher speeds.

Sean
    A speedster wake? If you're talking about a speedster 200, those are known to be horribly bouncy. If you meant challenger wake --- it should be fine, mine is rock solid at high speed. If you have an issue with porpoising consider some Bennett trim tabs.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    This is definitely a speedster wake, at least by the decals. I'm not a sea doo guy though so who knows. It bounces like crazy. I was thinking about putting a wedge in the pumps to make the nozzle point downwards and shimming the rear of the ride plates but Im new to this platform.

Sorry for stealing the thread and Congrats.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    This is definitely a speedster wake, at least by the decals. I'm not a sea doo guy though so who knows. It bounces like crazy. I was thinking about putting a wedge in the pumps to make the nozzle point downwards and shimming the rear of the ride plates but Im new to this platform.

Sorry for stealing the thread and Congrats.

Sean
    some of the techniques used on ski`s do not apply well to boats. adjustable trim tabs on the boat should do what you need as mentioned earlier if that`s possible on that model...

to the OP, NICE boat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    some of the techniques used on ski`s do not apply well to boats. adjustable trim tabs on the boat should do what you need as mentioned earlier if that`s possible on that model...

to the OP, NICE boat!!!
    Thanks! Agreed on the tabs or shims at minimum.

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1
    Great boat, and thanks for the review. The more love I hear about them, the more I want to ditch my 1800 for a newer Challenger 310hp (I like the twin engine setup, but hate dealing with S/C's)

Any new updates? Any new vids posted with the 210?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information