Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For those who removed the 2nd waterbox on the 15F....

Do you notice any more water intrusion going back (flow) and possibly into the engine? Perhaps from wave jumping, or sitting and having water current slap the transom?

Also, did you do the water line reroute? According to the shop manual, this would seem to run the primary waterbox dry... since the water feed line (from the coolant pipe under the intake manifold) is now dumping out the back instead of the waterbox. And the other 2 lines going into the waterbox, (according to the shop manual) should be drawing water away from the muffler. Weird.

Any comments?

Just do it and forget it?.. no problem?

Dont do it?

Things running hotter? etc...

no idea what your thinking.....the second muffler has no water lines going to it......that water in this box comes from the first box.
    I have removed the 2nd waterbox, have had no problems........ski is quite a bit louder though.
    when we ran in 45F water , I actually made a restrictor in the water line outlet coming from the head, to hold water back, to get the oil and coolant temperature up.
    cold oil and cold engine i believe is the #1 problem with engine failures, all else being equal.............sooner or later someone will program the ecu's, such that RPM is limited until the oil temperature rises, say 2000 rpm and can rise linearly as oil/water temps rise.
    doubt it will be much longer before this appears, to limit warranty claims.

+1
    I have the same question as joemama, what he is asking is about the PRIMARY waterbox, that has 3 water lines connected to it, the lower comes from the cooling pipe under the intake manifold & supplies the waterbox with water, if this line is then dumped out the outlet of the ski, where then does the first muffler/waterbox get its water supply? The only other line then connected to it then is the one going to the cylinder, according to the service manual water flows from the tee on top of the muffler to the cylinder, if the lower supply is disconnected, does the line going between the tee & cylinder then reverse flow & bring water to the primary muffler because there is no pressure from the lower line that was removed? I also agree with you that lots of people don't warm up there engines at a lower rpm before opening them up causing cold damage, this is very much like cold siezing that happens on the 2 cycle motors when they are opened up from a start. It should be simple to get the onboard computer to do this for you, I know that SkiDoo snowmobiles have a limiter built into the computer to limit them until a certain hour of break in is met.

Yes.. Rlaceman... your comment about the waterlines got me intrigued by this, and I saw exactly what you meant by looking at the service manual. It leaves questions unanswered.

My other question was simply, if anyone had any concerns or experience of water getting shoved backward (backflow) from the exhuast port back up toward the header, and and in extreme theoretical situation, back into the exhuast ports or close to it.
    W/o the 2nd waterbox, it seems like it would be an easier path for water to backflow from teh stern, back up to the headers. I also have the RIVA exhuast tip, but havent put it on... still using stock on at the moment because it tips down, and has a rubber flap to reduce the amount of water that might get pushed in from the exhaust outlet (from outside the ski).

I'm not worried about when the ski is running, but more about when I'm drifting in the ocean while fishing or other stuff. (if the swells push against the stern). I've heard of someone complain about that... but hopefully their issues had nothing to do w/ water intrusion from the exhuast outlet.

I'm sure it's no big deal.

+1
    I would say no you wouldn't get water backing up into the engine with the second waterbox removed, the 2009 & later 15f's have only one waterbox & the hose routing/bending is just like the Riva kit. The exhaust hose goes up high enough to keep that from happening. I think the only way that could happen is if the nose of the craft was pointing straight down for a period of time & water poured into the exhaust outlet, not sure how that could happen without sinking.

Yea.. right? Plus the hole and chamber shown in the Riva instruction manual (where you cut it open to modify it) seems it wont be easy to backflow water even from that point... so that settles it.

My mind is at ease.

right, to go from waterbox #1 to the tailpipe, just use and inverted Ubend (180) and into the tailpipe, creates a high spot for water to not back up......same as the stock one, does the same thing, just goes to waterbox #2, first, when coming backwards from the tailpipe.....water goes from box #1 to box #2, mainly by exhaust flow........so from waterbox #1 to tail pipe is no different......the only issue to me, is with less resistance, the engine should run leaner, so I added a certain % more fuel.
    it does make the engine exhaust sound much louder than stock, by removing waterbox #2

Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    I would say no you wouldn't get water backing up into the engine with the second waterbox removed, the 2009 & later 15f's have only one waterbox & the hose routing/bending is just like the Riva kit. The exhaust hose goes up high enough to keep that from happening. I think the only way that could happen is if the nose of the craft was pointing straight down for a period of time & water poured into the exhaust outlet, not sure how that could happen without sinking.

How did you add more fuel? Through a programmer... or adjustable FPR?

ooops.....delete this post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information