MSX 110 "CHECK ENGINE" light

I can't find anyone who will admit to having the "Digital Wrench" software and proper cables to diagnose my problem. Any reccomendations? I'm north of Atlanta near Lake Lanier.

It took me calling all Polaris shops around me to find one that is capable of working in an MSX 110 or 150. I need to drive an hour and a half to get it there. If you let the people here know what you are experiencing though, there is a lot of knowledge here that could help you diagnose your problem. How is the ski running? Are you limited to the RPMs it can go to? Does it idle weird? Etc.

Thanks for the reply. My MSX 110 bogged down and was limited to around a speed of 40. The engine sounded like it was labored, but otherwise ran fine. Turned engine off and let it sit for 10 min. On restart was still limited to same speed and labored engine. Would appreciate any help in diagnosing problem. Is there a code available or do you have to have diagnostic computer? Anybody know of someone with diagnostic capabilities around north Georgia? southern Tenn? Alabama? the Carolinas?

Just heard there is a reset sequence for the "ECU"??? Anybody out there know anything about a reset sequence?

+1
    What is the max RPMs that the engine is reaching?

The MSX 110/150 ECU will limit RPMs under certain conditions. Here's a list I found on these forums:

RPMs - Condition
    7800 is max, at which time the rev limiter kicks in.
    5800 is max when the ETB sensors don't match (there are 2 sensors, that constantly check each other).
    4800 is max when overboost is detected (stuck wastegate usually).
    1800 is max, in the event of overheat.
    All of the above (except the rev limiter) will be accompanied by the 'check engine' light.

Perhaps this can help point you in the direction of trouble.

any body had this problem with msx 110 temp light comes on after 10 min of ridding
    starts fine idles fine
    has new cooling rail sensor,thermo?
    could it be turbo temp sensor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pwc water power View Post
    any body had this problem with msx 110 temp light comes on after 10 min of ridding
    starts fine idles fine
    has new cooling rail sensor,thermo?
    could it be turbo temp sensor?
    Welcome to Green Hulk PWC Water Power!

Gonna need more info to help troubleshoot your issue.

So you run for 10 mins and your getting the temp indicator and red light flashing?
    Does the ski go into a limp mode with a max RPM of around 1800?
    Sounds like you are overheating...

Did this just start happening?
    Did it run fine before this without any issues (if so, how long ago)?
    When running in the water (and showing temp indicator) are you still getting a water flow (more than trickle) out the white port in the back of the ski by the jet pump?
    > if so, then water is circulating through the system = good
    > if not, likely blockage in this system = bad
    > if so, is this water very hot or warm?
    When running, open the coolant overflow bottle and look inside. Do you see any fluid flowing through in there at idle? Does it flow faster when you rev it?
    > if not, this could point to waterpump issues

My MSX had overheating issues. Turned out to be a striped plastic gear that runs the waterpump. This is bad because it requires pulling the entire engine to get to the waterpump.

I suppose the thermostat could also have failed... shut. I would pull the t-stat and check before I decided to pull the engine.

Get back to us with some more details and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

Cheers!

hi i checked the msx 110 today antifreeze circulates fine
    but i checked the oil tank dipstick milky white
    would that be blown head gasket ? that 'swhy its over heating?
    please reply thankyou.. for your help.

+1
    Water in the oil causes it to turn milky. This is something you gotta address. Not sure if it's related to your overheating, but possible.

Are you losing coolant (level dropping... having to add more)? (could point to bad head gasket)
    Do you see any oil in the coolant? (could point to oil cooler leak)

If your not losing any coolant, than the water in the oil must be fresh water (not coolant). This is commonly caused by a water leak in the oil tank. The oil tank has fresh water circulate through it to help cool the oil. The water then leaks from water-side (under pressure) into the oil-side (not under pressure).

Also check to make sure your not ingesting oil back into the intake. Check the turbo-to-intercooler hose for traces of oil coating the inside of the hose.

How long have you had this ski? When did these issues start? Did it ever run properly for you?
    Did you recently change the oil? Are you aware that filling the oil to the 'full' mark on the dipstick is too much oil and bad?

Cheers!

Thread Information