Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Might be getting this XP!

Been looking at jet skis for a while, but ive decided i want to get an older xp becuase its jsut something to me of 14 years old to have fun with and not have to worry about screwing up too badly like i could wtih an rxt/rxp. Anyway, i found this one about 2 minutes away from me. Its 1500 dollars lol as you could guess im excited!! Anyway i was wondering if you guys could tell me about these skis....

top speed?
    hp?
    handling?

Ill ask the owner any specific questions, but those questions are pretty general.

Thanks

Oliver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53mLVVidNHiUzflEOXPjm6G7JJhE.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	15064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knlltWP6z6urNl4ur6KO5DvneF1n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	15065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cv96XVOP26VLl5Er5PFblOguf1ck.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	15066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u5Cseahf4dimmzYsSHmGjmvIkHFh.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	15067  

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone268 View Post
    Been looking at jet skis for a while, but ive decided i want to get an older xp becuase its jsut something to me of 14 years old to have fun with and not have to worry about screwing up too badly like i could wtih an rxt/rxp. Anyway, i found this one about 2 minutes away from me. Its 1500 dollars lol as you could guess im excited!! Anyway i was wondering if you guys could tell me about these skis....

top speed?
    hp?
    handling?

Ill ask the owner any specific questions, but those questions are pretty general.

Thanks

Oliver
    I love the 96 XPs, I've had 4 of them...

Check the compression and make sure both cylinders are within 5 or so psi of each other, should be around 150 psi if I remember correctly.

Top speed is near 60 stock.

HP is 110.

Handling - tons of these have been used for racing, a real fun ride!

Good price if everything checks out okay. Good luck!

Oh, thank you that is very helpful information. Sorry this may sound a bit stupid, but ive never tested the compression before. How would i go about doing that?

Also, can i take the pink graphics (decals?) off?

What mods are avalible?

Go to an automotive store and look for their compression test kits. You can get a simple kit or one with lots of attachments - I just got a basic one which works fine. Here's what it looks like...

Remove one spark plug, screw in the tester into the plug hole, push the little air release valve on the tester (should read 0 psi) hold the throttle down all the way on the ski (keeps it from sending fuel to the engine), push the start button down for about 7 seconds until the guage reads compression. Then take the tester out, reinsert spark plug, take other plug out, and repeat on the other cylinder.

And yes, you can take decals off. My favorite method is using a hair dryer and plastic putty scraper - blowing the heat helps release the glue on the decal and they peal off relatively easy (when compared to not using heat). I then use a adhesive remover to get off the excess glue that stays on the hull. Here's a pic of my xps after I removed the decals.

Keep us posted on how things go...

Oh, thank you that is very helpful information. Sorry this may sound a bit stupid, but ive never tested the compression before. How would i go about doing that?

Also, can i take the pink graphics (decals?) off?

What mods are avalible?

Hmm, thanks for that information. Compression testing seems easy enough.. and so does removing the decals and glue. Are these skis stable with 2 people on them? They look kinda small. Keep in mind i am only around 125 pounds and my sister is about 105.

Thanks

Oliver

Hmm, thanks for that information. Compression testing seems easy enough.. and so does removing the decals and glue. Are these skis stable with 2 people on them? They look kinda small. Keep in mind i am only around 125 pounds and my sister is about 105.

Thanks

Oliver
    I wouldn't want to do a lot of riding with two, but with your light weights it wouldn't be too bad. I used to be your two weights combined and would ride with a kid on it with me. It's a much better one person ski. I'd suggest taking her on the test ride and see what you think, just remember that it will get better as you learn to ride together.

Yep, i think we are planning ont aking it for a test ride soon. I guess that question will be solved then. One more question (sorry lol) i watched a video of a guy from SBT telling how to do a compression test. He said "attach the spark plug covers to their GROUNDING LOCATION" where is that? I dont see why you cant just take them off and leave them..ahh i cant wait to get this ski! How does it do on gas? My neighbors GSX's last quite a while when we are tubing and such. Oh that brings up another point! My sister is obsessed with tubing, no idea why, anyway could we occasionally tow a tube behind this craft? Not very often, maybe 1-2 every few months.

Thanks!

EDIT: one more thing. does anyone have any pictures of the gauges?
    Last edited by Cyclone268; 01-23-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Change in post

Yes, that's right, forgot to say to attach the plug wires to the grounding location - it's on the top back side of the motor just behind the plug location - two little metal posts that are sticking up. If you don't ground them you can fry electronics.

I towed kids on a tube behind my XP...you should be fine as long as you to over the weigh rating, and only one on the ski and one on the tube to be legal.

Does pretty good on gas, you can run several hours if you don't run full throttle all the time.

Yep, i think we are planning ont aking it for a test ride soon. I guess that question will be solved then. One more question (sorry lol) i watched a video of a guy from SBT telling how to do a compression test. He said "attach the spark plug covers to their GROUNDING LOCATION" where is that? I dont see why you cant just take them off and leave them..ahh i cant wait to get this ski! How does it do on gas? My neighbors GSX's last quite a while when we are tubing and such. Oh that brings up another point! My sister is obsessed with tubing, no idea why, anyway could we occasionally tow a tube behind this craft? Not very often, maybe 1-2 every few months.

Thanks!

EDIT: one more thing. does anyone have any pictures of the gauges?

+1
    i prefer the no sticker look too. just need to install the gator grips when it warms up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0528.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	15087  

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    i prefer the no sticker look too. just need to install the gator grips when it warms up.
    Your ski is awesome!! Where did you get that hood and seat?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information