Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy MSX 150 4900 RPM check engine light after leaving fuel line unplugged

Took the ski out today after cleaning the map sensor. Unfortunately I left the fuel line unplugged. It started up for a few seconds and of course ran out of fuel. The fuel was in the hull of the ski. Any was took for ever to get it started again and idling normal. That one cylinder didn't want to fire at first but after a bit of playing it idled smooth. The problem is it wont go over 4900 rmp's and the turbo is release of pressure is loud. The check engine and the red light is on. I tried 2 times unplugging the battery to see if the codes would clear sense it was not misfiring any more. Didnt help once i tried to go.

PLease any advise? Im new to 4 stroke jet ski's. Im hoping its something simple sense really all it did was run out of gas on that one cylinder.

ALso right after we got it started we sucked up a rock while in reverse. Could this rock be causing it to not go fully into forward or something ????

Filled with 97 octane is that ok with a MSX 150?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is a reset sequence for the computer on the Weber engine. I do not recall the details right now but as I recall it involved pulling a main relay or connector (possibly while the engine is running?).

Are you sure there is no other mechanical issue such as a loose turbo hose or torn rubber boot?

I have a MSX 110 that is also limiting the RPM's. "CHECK ENGINE" light is illuminated also. Can't find anyone to diagnose with "DIGITAL WRENCH" software in the area. If you have a reset sequence it would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rjjet View Post
    ALso right after we got it started we sucked up a rock while in reverse. Could this rock be causing it to not go fully into forward or something ????
    How do you know you sucked up a rock? Heard it clanking around in the jet pump while running? Reverse is a thrust re-director ("bucket") on the end of the jet pump nozzle. The jet pump only spins one way and thrust always comes out the back. If you know you sucked up a rock... you should stop the engine and make sure you get the rock out. One way would be to backflush the jet pump with a hose to try and wash the rock back out the front through the intake grate. Or it's possible the rock already got spit out through the impeller but you really should check. A rock floating around in there is bad. Something will get chewed up. You could always pull the jet pump to ensure all is clear too.

Filled with 97 octane is that ok with a MSX 150?
    Premium grade fuel is recommended... which is 93 or 94 octane around my parts. Where are you? 97 octane should not hurt anything.

+1
    ...The problem is it wont go over 4900 rmp's and the turbo is release of pressure is loud. The check engine and the red light is on. ...
    The MSX 110/150 ECU will limit RPMs under certain conditions. Here's a list I found on these forums:
    RPMs - Condition
    7800 is max, at which time the rev limiter kicks in.
    5800 is max when the ETB sensors don't match (there are 2 sensors, that constantly check each other).
    4800 is max when overboost is detected (stuck wastegate usually).
    1800 is max, in the event of overheat.
    All of the above (except the rev limiter) will be accompanied by the 'check engine' light.

Have you checked the wastegate on your turbo to ensure it is not stuck?

Hey sorry for late reply. I was out of town. My brother took the ski back to the lake after being clear from any rocks and changing the spark plugs.Apartenly the plug went bad from having no fuel injecting into the cylinder. I will check out some of the above comments and get back to you guys After seeing how its running now.
    Thanks ahead

Where are the best places to get parts? and Part diagrams ?

How do i check the waste gate?

Perform ECU reset procedure by inserting lanyard, then disconnecting main relay. Re- connect main relay and wait at least one minute. ECU will re-learn ETB. I found this in service manual

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information