Thread: gtx DI or not

gtx DI or not

Hi guys, newbie here. A few weeks ago I purchased a 97 gti with a nice trailer for 2k. In great shape and always garaged and maintained. Took it out the other day and I am very happy with it. I am looking at getting a second ski (3 seater) as well. Don't know how much better a gtx is and would like your help. From reading on this forum, some say the 99 and up is the way to go. And I have also read to stay away from direct injection. So what to do. I have found a 2001 model with di. Should I just get a carburated model? How much better, and or faster is a gtx over a gti? Is the 99 and up hull that much better than a 97? please help. the pwc world is a hell of a lot larger than expected. Thanks

Welcome to Greenhulk! The 2001 GTX DI is a great ski, but can be more expensive to repair when something goes wrong. There is not much difference in hulls between your 97 and the '01 DI. The '01 DI will have a lot more power, acceleration, and top end speed versus your GTI, but burn a lot less gas. The DI's are so fuel efficient that you will be amazed how little gas it burns compared to the carbed skis.

It used to be that it was almost impossible for DIY mechanics to work on the DI skis, but since the Candoopro system was introduced, the average home mechanic can work on them with the same capability as the dealer technicians.

Check out the DI to make sure it runs good on the water, and doesn't throw any codes (maintenance light flashing).

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Welcome to Greenhulk! The 2001 GTX DI is a great ski, but can be more expensive to repair when something goes wrong. There is not much difference in hulls between your 97 and the '01 DI. The '01 DI will have a lot more power, acceleration, and top end speed versus your GTI, but burn a lot less gas. The DI's are so fuel efficient that you will be amazed how little gas it burns compared to the carbed skis.

It used to be that it was almost impossible for DIY mechanics to work on the DI skis, but since the Candoopro system was introduced, the average home mechanic can work on them with the same capability as the dealer technicians.

Check out the DI to make sure it runs good on the water, and doesn't throw any codes (maintenance light flashing).
    Thank you much, I thought that the gti that I have only burned 8.8 gal/hr at wot. At least thats what the seadoo fuel consumption chart I found said. Then I can count on better than that? that would be great.

+1
    WOT on the GTX DI is around 11 gph. I have a 2002 and it does way better on gas than any carbed ski I have run. The motor is a 951 (130hp). What motor is in the GTI?

Just FYI, the 2002 GTX DI uses a lot more fuel than the 2001. The hull is way bigger.

You cannot compare the WOT specs between carb skis and DI skis as it is meaningless. The DI at WOT will burn about as much fuel as the carbed ski of the same HP. Most people don't run WOT very much, and the DI's are way more efficient at anything less than WOT.

Neighbor has a 2001 GTX DI and a 1999 GTI (basically the same as your 97) and he claims the DI uses less than half the fuel of the GTI in everyday riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
    WOT on the GTX DI is around 11 gph. I have a 2002 and it does way better on gas than any carbed ski I have run. The motor is a 951 (130hp). What motor is in the GTI?
    my gti has a 717. guess I will be looking for the gtx. do you guys know if the di will be legal on lake mead next yr? I heard some 2 strokes would be ok, if they are injected.

+1
    I agree with SeaDood. My kids run the GTX-DI on and off all day on a 16 gallon tank of fuel, very little WOT. My son rides with a kid that has a 2004 900cc kawasaki, (carbed) and he will run through 25 gallons in the same time. They are riding together so they are riding very similarly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Just FYI, the 2002 GTX DI uses a lot more fuel than the 2001. The hull is way bigger.

You cannot compare the WOT specs between carb skis and DI skis as it is meaningless. The DI at WOT will burn about as much fuel as the carbed ski of the same HP. Most people don't run WOT very much, and the DI's are way more efficient at anything less than WOT.

Neighbor has a 2001 GTX DI and a 1999 GTI (basically the same as your 97) and he claims the DI uses less than half the fuel of the GTI in everyday riding.

+1
    The 2002 is the heavier 4-tec hull but my experience is that it is still very fuel efficient. It is rate at 2 stars (Very Low) if that helps on your Lake Mead question.

+1
    One other thing. The GTX-DI needs full synthetic API-TC two-stroke oil. That runs about $8-10 per quart. That cost may figure into your decision. Make sure the person you are buying from used it and not the TCW-3 spec oil.

+1
    If you're concerned about emissions you may be better off going with a slightly newer 4-stroke ski. If you cannot afford it right away it may be beneficial to weigh the pros and cons of waiting a bit longer. Keep in mind that purchasing a 4-stroke now may be extremely helpful in the long run when you decide to sell your ski. The more time that passes, the more obsolete (and banned from certain areas) 2-stroke skis become.

Thread Information