Why is my ski trying to "runaway"?

Just bought a 2001 Kawasaki 1100 stx from a buddy. It goes to full throttle shortly after starting it. He said he didn't want to pay the shop $750 to rebuild the carbs, so he sold it to me instead. I, however, have read that the "run away" condition is caused by an air leak, not a carb issue. I brought the ski home today and first took the carbs off and looked at the reeds. They look OK, but not sure if they are leaking or not. Should I just replace the reed and manifold gaskets or does anyone have any other suggestion? Thanks in advance.

compression test and post results.

United States
    The run away is a lean condition. it can be an air leak, or lack of fuel. I would check the carbs out, check your fuel filter first maybe a it is a simple solution.

Lean, can be caused by a number of things, including a bad crankshaft seal.

You can try squirting oil or starting fluid (careful with that stuff, it's extremely flammable) around the engine while it's running on the hose. When the engine sound changes, you've found your leak.

Remember, when running on the hose, NEVER allow the water to run unless the engine is running! Start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN turn off the engine. You can safely run the engine for 15 seconds without water.

Thread Information