SL650 Polaris OEM Base Gasket Question

Good Morning GreenHulk,

Quick questions, Im about to install a new Polaris OEM Bask Gasket (3240055) into my 1992 SL650. The gasket I received does not have a fully open whole in it for the waterjacket, please see attached picture. My question is should I cut out this gasket bridge to let maximum water flow through the cylinder (like the old gasket), or should I keep it enforced for extra support (my last gasket blew a water leak at exhaust mid outside gasket, where this one seems to reinforce). Im worried that the water pressure will push on the center part of the gasket and cause this one to tear because its not suspended on anything, it seems to just be in the way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BaseGasket.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	273718  

Newman Lake, WA

I was unaware of the earlier year's engine differences. Please disregard my advice for your '92.

Leave it. I've used gaskets that had it too.

I don't believe that cavity is part of the cylinder water jacket. If you have a cylinder out, put a head on it (no need to bolt it down) and blow into the water rail hole. You'll feel the air come out the water jacket openings around the exhaust port. Water doesn't go the whole way down the cylinder and cross over the base gasket to the case/block through that cavity.

The 1992's had case cooling with the water exit @ the block.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    The 1992's had case cooling with the water exit @ the block.
    Thanks I installed gasket as is, all is back together. She sounds good, hopefully iT runs well this weekend.

Thread Information