+1

Removal of OEM grip

I've got a 06 RXT and want to install the ODI grips I bought from Jerry.

How do you get the OEM grip off? It looks to be molded to the insert in the bar end. Do you just cut and scrape till its small enough to fit the ring and cover over?

I thought the old compressed air trick would work to remove the grip, but NO way.

Jerry recommended the 130 Rouges so I didn't have to add extensions and could still use the cover.

+1
    They just bolt on, remove the end cap and there's a 10mm bolt. They will come right off.....

+1
    Well I got it done. After seeing a grip off, it's easier to see whats needed to do this.
    The OEM grip is rubber molded onto a hard plastic sleeve and end plug then slid onto the metal bar. I found it easiest to cut the grip from end to end down to the metal. Then loosen by prying the cut open with a screwdriver. Then with the end plug bolt removed it will pull off the bar.
    I installed the ODI Rouge 130 grips from Jerry. The ends hang off the bar a bit but the inside clamp should be enough to hold. We'll find out this weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post
    Well I got it done. After seeing a grip off, it's easier to see whats needed to do this.
    The OEM grip is rubber molded onto a hard plastic sleeve and end plug then slid onto the metal bar. I found it easiest to cut the grip from end to end down to the metal. Then loosen by prying the cut open with a screwdriver. Then with the end plug bolt removed it will pull off the bar.
    I installed the ODI Rouge 130 grips from Jerry. The ends hang off the bar a bit but the inside clamp should be enough to hold. We'll find out this weekend.
    If you cant clamp lock them tightly like i couldn't on the end when i had stock steering. I would highly recommend not running them..

+1
    You actually needed to go with the 120mm grips..

+1
    These were what Jerry recommended I use.
    So your saying if the end clamp isn't clamping onto the metal bar, it's not good? Also the end of the stock bar isn't completely round as it has a cut out to keep the stock grip from twisting, so even the 120 wouldn't clamp all the way around.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post
    These were what Jerry recommended I use.
    So your saying if the end clamp isn't clamping onto the metal bar, it's not good? Also the end of the stock bar isn't completely round as it has a cut out to keep the stock grip from twisting, so even the 120 wouldn't clamp all the way around.

Yes if the end of the grip does not go around the grip then you may have issues...NOW heres a little hint...take the grip off,take a pair of pliers and bend that lip up on the handlebars a tad...then force the grip on..this will help aid in holding the grip on and keep it from twisting.....You can also use silicone on the handle bars to hold the grip on BUT you will have one hella of a time getting them back off if you ever have to change them...

Thread Information