+1

Maiden voyage cavitation issues. 06 RXT

I got my washers replaced by Jerry a while ago, have about 40 hours on them. Recently, I took the RXT out for the first voyage of the year and was met with some cavitation issues shortly after leaving. It felt more like power was being cut rather than actual cavitation. At one point, it maxed at 44 MPH. I could tell that while I was holding the throttle steady, I could feel pulsating of the craft and I could actually hear the engine pulsating. There was no overheating, no error codes. I brought it back to land and checked the wear ring which appears to be in good shape. I pulled one of the 3 spark plugs and it appears to be decent. It's hard for me to tell, but it's not overly dirty. The hoses are attached.

Like I stated previously, this is the first time out this year after being winterized by myself. I pull the plugs each year. It went into the garage last fall in perfect running condition; 8100 RPMs at top with 0 cavitation. I haven't pulled the super charger yet but I will if you guys think that should be my next step.

What would you suggest? Should I change the plugs and take for a test drive, or wouldn't that be recommended in case it was something more sinister and could result in further damage?

Of course, it has to be 90 degrees this weekend....

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

How old is the gas? Change the spark plugs. How's the wear ring and prop look?

+1
    Wear ring looks good as does the prop. Half the gas is from October, 2011, half is from this week. Normally when I winterize it, I fill the gas tank up to allow as little room for condensation to form as possible, but this past winterization, I forgot to fill it up.

+1
    I should also mention that I was getting this pulsating throughout the entire range. Even from a standstill, I got this pulsating cavitation out of the hole and it would continue until I maxed out my speed around mid 40s, then all of a sudden I'd get a burst of power and it would jump up to 50's but only for a second or 2. My max speed was 62 and that was without the throttle being down all the way, and that was shortly into the ride, then after that it seemed like I couldn't get it above mid 40s, but I also didn't want to crank on it hard knowing something was wrong.

+1
    Pump the gas and replace with new. Or run it all out with fuel injection cleaner.
    Change the plugs after you have run all the old gas out.
    Fuel injection cleaner....
    I've had the same issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    I should also mention that I was getting this pulsating throughout the entire range. Even from a standstill, I got this pulsating cavitation out of the hole and it would continue until I maxed out my speed around mid 40s, then all of a sudden I'd get a burst of power and it would jump up to 50's but only for a second or 2. My max speed was 62 and that was without the throttle being down all the way, and that was shortly into the ride, then after that it seemed like I couldn't get it above mid 40s, but I also didn't want to crank on it hard knowing something was wrong.
    My 2005 RXT had the same symptoms. Fouled plug. Swap all three plugs out for fresh ones and see if that fixes your issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    My 2005 RXT had the same symptoms. Fouled plug. Swap all three plugs out for fresh ones and see if that fixes your issue.
    I will try this after work. Would you guys suggest pumping the fuel first? It's a completely full tank with half old and half new gas, or just go ahead and try the new plugs first? As for now unless I hear otherwise, I will just try the plugs since those are cheap compared to syphoning 15 gallons of premium fuel.

Thread Information