+1

What trailer to get?

Hi everyone im fairly new to this forum. Ive been doing some research on the ski that i want to get and i have made up my mind. My new dilema is what trailer to get? Ive read here many times that triton trailers are the best. I think im a week or two away from going in the dealer to make my purchase. I will be getting a new 2012 fx ho cruiser. Money is not the main issue though i would like to spend as little as possible, but i dont want to have a 13k ski with a 300 trailer that is falling apart. I was thinking of grabbing something in craigslist but most dont look to be in the best condition and im afraid to buy something thats just gonna give me headaches.

My trailer and ski will be outside so im leaning more towards aluminum instead of galvanized. Ive read that its important ride quality for the long hauls though i have the beach 1 to 2 miles away so long trips wont be many except when i head down to the keys or the west coast of florida. What do you guys think?

What do you guys recommend for this ski im leaning towards a triton but i would like to know what other brands out their are considered good quality And what model specifically?

Thanks in advance.

Triton is a good brand. I wound up with a Loadrite aluminum since that's what my dealer carried-- very happy with it. (I have a double with 2 '10 FXHO Cruisers on it)
    Aluminum is the way to go if you're going to be using it in salt water.
    Also consider the torsion suspension (rather than leaf springs) it makes the trailer ride much smoother-- as well as LED lights--they're much more rugged than regular lights and inherently waterproof. I have both the torsion and the LEDs on mine

They typically don't come with rear tie downs-- you can get some decent racheting ones from Walmart for under $20--- they are a necessity---don't want to just rely on the winch strap to hold the ski on the trailer.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Triton WC2-2
    thats on my wish-list.

+1
    Ok thanks for the tips with the lights and torsion.

Quote Originally Posted by jetboater View Post
    Triton is a good brand. I wound up with a Loadrite aluminum since that's what my dealer carried-- very happy with it. (I have a double with 2 '10 FXHO Cruisers on it)
    Also consider the torsion suspension (rather than leaf springs) it makes the trailer ride much smoother-- as well as LED lights--they're much more rugged than regular lights and inherently waterproof. I have both the torsion and the LEDs on mine

They typically don't come with rear tie downs-- you can get some decent racheting ones from Walmart for under $20--- they are a necessity---don't want to just rely on the winch strap to hold the ski on the trailer.

+1
    Anyone else have some input on the topic?

+1
    don't get a triton lxt. they suck. ski sits way too high

+1
    What part of Florida are you in? We are lucky to have many trailer manufactors down here. Def. Gotta ride in the keys, I went last week and I have been riding for 6 years and it was the best damn riding I have ever done.

Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboater View Post
    Hi Jetboater-- I don't know where you're getting your info but galvanized is best for salt water. Aluminum is lighter so if you're towing your fuel costs will be a little less. Galvanized are heavier duty and are dipped in a material that resists corrosion..of course both type will corrode anyway over time..I've been a boater all my life-- 40+ yrs and did work in the industry for a short while--

Quote Originally Posted by awarrick View Post
    Hi Jetboater-- I don't know where you're getting your info but galvanized is best for salt water. Aluminum is lighter so if you're towing your fuel costs will be a little less. Galvanized are heavier duty and are dipped in a material that resists corrosion..of course both type will corrode anyway over time..I've been a boater all my life-- 40+ yrs and did work in the industry for a short while--

oh no!!! this is like the Ford vs Chevy or Yamaha vs Seadoo!!

I should have said, in my opinion, aluminum is the better choice for salt water--that's not based on any actual testing I personally did but on looking at opinions of other boaters with experience with both before I bought my last trailer (example--Google "aluminum or galvanized trailer for salt water" and scan the hundreds of forum posts it brings up) they appear (to me at least) to heavily favor aluminum over galvanized for salt water use. Most of the reasons given, even on the 40+ft cigarette boat trailers, is the corrosion resistance of aluminum rather than lighter weight. My experience with galvanized trailers has been positive but I like the aluminum better.

You make a very important point that I also thought about---the aluminum trailers seem to me to be "strong enough" and the galvanized trailers, being steel, appear to me to be "stronger". I just needed "strong enough" for my PWC trailers even though I trailer them a lot (twice last summer on 8+ hour each way trips down south). But some folks may want the stronger steel based trailer.

Guess at the end of the day it's personal preference as either galvanized and aluminum is a whole lot better than painted steel.

(I'm getting to be an old f**t and have been boating just over 40 years also--I'm lucky in that I live on the water with docks in my back yard--I do admit I don't have extensive salt water experience)

Thread Information