This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Elephant Butte New Mexico

Thumbs up Airmen on Jetskis rescue boaters on Elephant Butte lake

by Airman 1st Class Siuta B. Ika
    49th Wing Public Affairs

6/1/2012 - HOLLOMAN AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. -- Two Airmen from Holloman Air Force Base, N.M., saved the life of a passenger aboard a sinking boat at the Elephant Butte Reservoir May 26.

Tech. Sgt. Rachel Dow, 29th Attack Squadron aviation resource management flight chief, and her husband, Master Sgt. Garret Dow, 49th Civil Engineer Squadron emergency management superintendent, were enjoying their Memorial Day weekend at the lake when at about noon, they heard some commotion.

"We were on the beach at our campsite, and there was a lady two campsites down from us who was running across our campsite yelling, 'they just need to start swimming,'" Rachel said. "That alarmed us, and then we saw there were people in the water that had been thrown from their boat."

Both Dows immediately took action.....

read the entire story here:

As I'm sure some of you know, the rescue of a drowning person carries extreme high personal risk, even for those with professional training. Here at our lake, the wind can come on quickly, often with deadly results for inexperienced boaters who do not recognize the first signs or choose to ignore them. Wind over the Memorial day weekend was generating 4 foot waves on our lake and smaller boats with inexperienced pilots are at high risk when that happens.

We're fortunate that many lives are saved yearly by selfless actions of other boaters ad visitors to our lake. Sometimes we're not as fortunate. Last year a collision between two boats near the marina resulted in the death of a local resident, who was not wearing a life jacket at the time of the collision. Alcohol was involved and the responsible boater nearly escaped prosecution.

This week a young woman fell from a boat on one of our other lakes and was hit by the propeller. She's in critial conditon with serious head injuries

At the start of the 2012 summer season I implore all of you to dial your common sense back up and not be shy about telling others to also.

A personal tip of the cap to the Dow's for their outstanding public service.

Central Florida
    Good story.

My son assisted a pair of boaters like this a couple years ago.
    They had been thrown from their boat and when he got there on his ski, the boat was still going in circles at high speed around one of the boaters!

My son had to get the guy on his ski then they managed to get next to the speeding boat and the guy jumped back in it; if I had been there I would have told my son to not even try this stunt but we were on the other side of the lake and didn't even realize what was happening until after it was over. But at the end of the day I was very proud of him for helping those peeps.

Thread Information