Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 140 bent shaft?

So I got my pipe back from the welder today and they did a good job. Started the ski after installing and it began making a new noise in the pump housing. It sounds as if there is a pebble in the housing that is getting kicked around by the impeller. There is not a pebble in there, but I am wondering if perhaps I managed to bend the shaft last time I rode it to test for leaks. I did have to ride through some thick weeds on the way back to the dock, which I cleaned out after it was on the trailer. Is it possible for me to have bent the shaft? Impeller blades look pretty clean and undamaged. I really just want to get this thing back on the water, and it is beginning to test me a little.

Good times,
    Pc

Check your pump bearings.

I would like to replace the through hull bearing and seal soon, just need to order the tool. This sound is more like the impeller hitting the housing. Is it possible for the impeller to come out of balance? If so, how? The blades look clean.

If you ran the ski out of the water it is probably just the normal pump rattle sound you are hearing. (Like a metal chinking sound) Try putting it in the water and see what it sounds like.

Good call on the pump bearings. They're toast, and the tail cone was full of water. Now I need to find an impeller removal tool and set of bearings and get it sealed up nice and tight and hopefully be back in business.

Ordered a pump rebuild kit from eBay and hopefully I will get them before the weekend. Thanks to all who posted the tips on pump removal. Easy as pie. Also ordered a set of through hull seals and bearing, and the shaft tool from Watcom. I will have an uneventful weekend with these skis one day, I hope.

+1
    Don't forget the stator pump bearing install trick. Heat the stator housing up in 150-200 degree oven for 20 mins or so... while chilling the bearings in the freezer for the same amount of time. The bearings should drop right into stator housing. Don't forget the spacer between them!

Cheers!

Got a set of bearings today and did pump bearings/seals as well as the through-hull bearing and seals. With the correct tools and the advise on this site, it was a breeze all the way around. I really appreciate all your help. While the through-hull bearing and seals were in pretty good shape, the forward pump seals had failed completely, allowing water intrusion to the bearings. Here's a pic of what it did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	274605

I feel lucky that this bearing didn't damage anything within the pump, and I'm ashamed I did not catch it sooner. This leads me to a follow on question: How much chatter from the pump is normal while running it out of water? Bot my MSXs had the same amount, until this one began to make an obviously bad noise. I have not yet started this one (with new bearings) to see what it sounds like, but I am wondering if it is a good idea to change the pump bearings in my other MSX this weekend as well. I probably just answered my own question there, just curious what you guys think.

Thanks again,
    PC

Everything is back together and the drivetrain runs smooth. The pump is quiet, with a little bit of chatter that I expected. One thing I did not anticipate: My steering seems to be off a considerable amount now. Anyone seen this before? Is it possible that I dorked the steering cable up while changing the bearings?

Banned User
    +1
    That noise is actually the drive shaft rattling around in the impeller I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information