Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 Genesis: Start,bilge,and fwd/rev buttons not working

Just got the craft out of storage and hooked up the battery. None of the buttons on the left handle bar controls do not work. The start/stop button will not turn over the engine and the bilge pump will not start either. I notice randomly the bilge pump will quickly star and then stop.

I disconnect the battery,pressed the ignition reset button and also pressed 2/7 reset. None of those things worked. I at least expected the bilge pump to start.

Any help would be awesome!
    Curtis

Banned User
    +1
    I would guess its a bad LR module.

Thanks, I am a newb to this. Where is the LR Module?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

The LR module is a black box inside your electrical box that regulates the battery charge and provides power to the accessories (such as bilge, trim, etc) only when the PWC is running. It is bolted to the circuit board and has a few wires coming off of it.

EDIT: That being said, assuming a carbed model, Remove the black white wire from the starter solenoid and ground it. If it starts, then your start stop module is bad.

I do not believe that the LR505 is your problem.

I would check your major battery connections. And main circuit breaker. If your bilge worked, I would say to start checking the start button or stop button. IF your description is correct, it is the battery, breaker or ground connections.

Attached is the diagram from a 00 Genesis. THe 99 manual is corrupted, sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00 Genesis.jpg 
Views:	1195 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	274057

Banned User
    +1
    On the Genesis the LR 505 controls start stop as well as all of the other functions the LR controls. It has everything to do with the LR module. Look on the diagram above. What does it say right on the LR505?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    On the Genesis the LR 505 controls start stop as well as all of the other functions the LR controls. It has everything to do with the LR module. Look on the diagram above. What does it say right on the LR505?
    You are correct, I missed that the ground for the solenoid is controlled by the start stop module. Yes I can read. I traced the wiring and missed that. No need to be rude. Modified my response.

All the same, Assuming all the problems are related (which they may not be), I do not believe it is a logical assumption that the start stop module is to blame. The bilge would work even if you ripped the LR505 out and threw it in the trash.

Banned User
    +1
    The LR 505 is a known issue on the Genesis and Virage models. It can be bypassed to check if it is at fault.

So, I have used this thread plus another I paid a guy $50 bucks for on answer.com. For the record, the mechanic on answer.com did not solve my issue he just pointed me in the right direction. My first issue was I am a total newbie to this stuff so it took me forever to find the box where the fuses are housed. I finally found it and the 3A fuse was blown. Replacing that fuse fixed my bilge pump issue.

My 2nd issue, ghostinstallations pointed me to. I took the black wire from the starter solenoid and grounded it by running a long wire and BAM the engine cranks. Now the question I have is where is the start/stop module so I can find one and replace this one

Quote Originally Posted by almonds View Post
    So, I have used this thread plus another I paid a guy $50 bucks for on answer.com. For the record, the mechanic on answer.com did not solve my issue he just pointed me in the right direction. My first issue was I am a total newbie to this stuff so it took me forever to find the box where the fuses are housed. I finally found it and the 3A fuse was blown. Replacing that fuse fixed my bilge pump issue.

My 2nd issue, ghostinstallations pointed me to. I took the black wire from the starter solenoid and grounded it by running a long wire and BAM the engine cranks. Now the question I have is where is the start/stop module so I can find one and replace this one
    I believe it is in the front electrical box on that model. Open the hood and on teh back "wall" of the front storage compartment there's a panel that's held on by some screws. Remove that panel and there's an electrical box on the back side of that panel.

Does the start button not work 100% of the time or only sometimes? That model needs the "red/purple to orange" wire update done to it. My '99 would not restart after it was warm. After doing the update, I never had another problem with it.

The start/stop button does not work 100% of the time. I have not done the red/purple to orange work update yet. I am unsure which red/purple wire in the box mounted in the storage unit goes to orange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information