Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Oh sh$t this can't be good

After Purchasing my gp1200r last fall I noticed it to be down on power. Top speed is 58 mph with 6800 rpms. D plate riva free flow, power filters, scat trak prop, r&d intake grate, free air mods, stepped sponsons. Compression test showed 100 psi at #1 and #2 piston. #3 was around 70. This makes sense now why it's so slow and knocking/ vibration on motor. What's it gonna cost to fix this and whats the right way to fix this? I'm I better just parting it out?

pics added after finally getting around to tearing it down
    Last edited by thatdude596; 07-05-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added pics

+1
    Don't part it. Tear it down and see what you have to work with. Your compression tester could be off and the 2 cylinders at 100psi may be fine. The good thing is the 3rd isn't zero. I would remove top end and inspect cylinders and pistons first - the 2 cylinder with 100psi are most likely usable and the 3rd has a very good chance of being usable also. Pull it down and post some pics. Check rod play and color of rods for any heat build up. How many hours are on ski. Start there - this can go on and on. Lol

Just from my experience it takes 3-6 months to completely part something out I had a business once upon a time and thats what I did I bought atvs with bad motors and parted them out. It's profitable but it's a pain. Just think about selling a jet ski and all the calls you get and then multiply that by the number of parts you have. I still have atv parts that never sold and I quit that business 3 yrs ago.

That being said take off the top end and see if all you need is new cylinders and pistons ....give sbt a chance. I've got multiple friends that have used them with good results.

Justin

Banned User
    +1
    I just don't have the tools and know how to fix it. Porsche wish you were closer cause I'd pay you to see what's wrong and go from there. Whats your best guess on what would need replaced and ballpark cost?

Banned User
    +1
    So I could maybe just getaway with new pistons? The mechanic i took it to did the compression test. He pulled all three plugs when doing it and I thought u wanted to leave in other two. He said he wasnt interested in tearing the whole motor apart. Motor has 86 hrs on it

+1
    Its hard to tell until you get the top end off. If cylinders are usable I can get you a top end kit with all pistons-rings- gaskets ect for $300 or so. I would recomend pulling motor out and replacing crank seals and cleaning cases and doing inspection of all bearings - seals are less than $50. Find the root cause of the failure and repair it first. if crank and cylinders are in good condition you should be able to build it yourself for under $1000 - even maybe buying one good used cylinder if the 3rd cylinder is unusable. Get us some pics

Banned User
    +1
    I pm'd phillipgpr and will see if he's interested in fixing and diagnosing the ski. I just don't feel confident in tearing it down myself or pulling motor

I bet you lost the oil line on the #3 carb..... Happened on mine and a lot of others with these older 1200's.

Banned User
    +1
    its premix

+1
    wave eaters?
    maybe you lost a pv pin.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information