Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Broken spark plug flush with head, pulling head and have questions.

So I went out on my skis after doing preventative maintenance (replaced prop, changed oil/filter, plug kit, and installed all new spark plugs.

When testing them all out I was riding and all of the sudden lost a lot of power so we took it in because it was like its missing.

Once we pulled the COP's, all of them
    Pulled out no issue except #4 (towards the back of the ski) the COP pulled out half of the spark plug.

Now we still see the threaded part of the plug in the head but it still has the center ceramic in there. We were going to pull the head to properly remove the stuck part, but I cannot find good instructions on just removing the head.

Any suggestions?

I know I'll need the head gasket, new cop/boot, intake gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, cable cover gasket? Is it best to just get the full sbt gasket kit?

I have a week before I take a trip to the lake so I need to get thinks fixed quickly.

Any help is much appreciated. Need info/instructions as well as torque speeds on the head, etc if anyone knows.

try getting it out without removing head.

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    try getting it out without removing head.
    Problem is there is still part of the center of the spark plug with ceramic and metal in the middle so I'm afraid of it drilling in the cylinder then really doing some damage.

Anyone done this?

You may be able to drill/chip away enough to use an ez-out. Obviously blow out any debris before removing the threaded section. If any pieces are unaccounted for, just pull the head like you're already planning. Also, if it really is just the threaded section, there should be virtually zero resistance in removing it, you might be able to back it out with a flathead, or similar, by finding traction on just about any feature remaining on the plug (crack, lip, edge, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by corndog View Post
    You may be able to drill/chip away enough to use an ez-out. Obviously blow out any debris before removing the threaded section. If any pieces are unaccounted for, just pull the head like you're already planning. Also, if it really is just the threaded section, there should be virtually zero resistance in removing it, you might be able to back it out with a flathead, or similar, by finding traction on just about any feature remaining on the plug (crack, lip, edge, etc)
    +1

Yes EZ OUT!!! It should be able to handle it with no problem at all. go over to home depot and pick yourself up one. Its at least worth a shot before you go ripin through the engine like that.

+1
    First: disconnect your battery so no accidental cranking

If you're planning to pull the head, you may as well try to remove the plug as is - if it breaks further you can always clean it up w/ the head removed. Depends on how the plug broke, but you may be able to use a pair of needle nose pliers to extract the center electrode and ceramic insulator. Then try using your SP wrench or an EZ-Out to remove the reminder of the plug. Hopefully, it'll come out clean.
    If not, with the plug out, you might be able to clean up any small pieces of ceramic by duct-taping a rigid, large soda straw (like the kind you get w/ a large milkshake) to the end of your shop-vac nozzle and using that to suck out debris.

Worse case, pull head

+1
    try using left hand drills at slow speed it should wind it straight out.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    compared to the risk of ceramic bits having a go at you cylinder walls, pulling the head is advised if there is a chance of a bit floating around down there. The damage potential far outweighs the hassle in my opinion proceed with care....you could get lucky. Not a jobi would want to do for the first time with a deadline hanging over. Given the labor involved i.d go with an oem headgasket....third party on the rest to save a couple of bucks. Not a terribly complicated job. Good torque wrench and perhaps a torque angle gauge...oh yeah..sniff around on head bolts.the stretch type may be used..and those have to be replaced.

I haven.t had opportunity to pull a 15f head yet..so I can only offer some best practice advice. Good luck!

(making an offering to a box of sparkplugs can.t hurt ..i.d suggest a brand new chrome plated laser etched neoprene lined plug socket for their installation and removal comfort)

We were able to get the plug out, it looks complete just the tip was melted. Ceramic in place still.

Because of the heat one of the coil packs and boot was partially melted. I would feel more comfortable just picking up a brand new one. Anyone have a good source and part number for what I need?

Someone who is in stock preferably so I can get out on the water this weekend to test before the trip.

good job!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information