How do I remove the kill switch on a 95 sl750

Hi everybody, my SL-750 has been running great for several years. I am having a problem starting it that I believe is tied to the kill switch. (If I diddle with the button it will start) However, my searches here and the Clymer manual I have don't really tell me how to remove the old switch.

Can someone please tell me how and where the wires connect? I have found new replacement switches online and it looks like they have a connector but I don't know where it is located or how to get to it. A picture would be appreciated if it is possible.

Thank you for your help!

John

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnt365 View Post
    Hi everybody, my SL-750 has been running great for several years. I am having a problem starting it that I believe is tied to the kill switch. (If I diddle with the button it will start) However, my searches here and the Clymer manual I have don't really tell me how to remove the old switch.

Can someone please tell me how and where the wires connect? I have found new replacement switches online and it looks like they have a connector but I don't know where it is located or how to get to it. A picture would be appreciated if it is possible.

Thank you for your help!

John
    The connector is in the electrical box. You unbolt the stop switch by removing the two screws that are on the backside of the switch. Then remove the handlebar pad by removing the 4 screws on the underside. Remove the two Allen head screws from the bracket that makes the water tight seal on the electrical box. At that point fish the wire back from the electrical box to the handlebar assembly.

I did not see a procedure in the Polaris service manual.

Hope this helps!

-Brad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handlebar.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	274091

Brad,
    After reading your post I went and disassembled the switch. Then, took apart the button assembly. Now, due to some recent austerity measures in our family I was motivated to take note that the button had very little resistance keeping the contacts open in the run position.

I used the spring from a Bic pen, cut it and put it on the button shaft. It was the perfect size and seems to keep the contacts open now with the lanyard attached and kills it when I push it.

Thank you for the help.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnt365 View Post
    Brad,
    After reading your post I went and disassembled the switch. Then, took apart the button assembly. Now, due to some recent austerity measures in our family I was motivated to take note that the button had very little resistance keeping the contacts open in the run position.

I used the spring from a Bic pen, cut it and put it on the button shaft. It was the perfect size and seems to keep the contacts open now with the lanyard attached and kills it when I push it.

Thank you for the help.
    Glad to hear! I would have done the same.

BTW: you taught me a new word tonight...actually had to look up "austerity." My vocabular thanks you!

Thread Information