Cool 94 Kawasaki ss idles but will not throttle up,..HELP PLEASE

Just bought last week after owner had the carb rebuilt, new fuel lines, cleaned out the gas tank. I put new plugs in and it ran awesome for 2 minutes on the lake. Now it will idle, but boggs out when you give a little gas? It seems to be not getting enough fuel because if I choke all the way it will get a short energy boost then it cuts off. Went thru two sets of plugs and they are white hot when i pull them. if anyone has input I would appreciate it.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Matthew!

Don't keep running it like that or you'll be replacing the pistons, as well!

Sounds like trash in the fuel system. Clean/change the fuel filter to start with. You'll probably have to drain & flush the tank, hoses, and go through the fuel pump & carbs.

Thanks for the tips man. I don't even think that there is a fuel filter in the thing. I will have to buy an inline filter or something. I saw the lines get pulled out of the tank and its not in there and there is nothing inline before the carb?!?!

+1
    Originally each pickup in the tank had a screen. I've removed those from a couple of mine and installed an inline filter that is easily inspected and replaced. I put short extensions on the pickup tubes to make them the same length as the originals.

OK, I will put an inline in for sure. Looks like you have alot of Kawi's there. Do you know a good place to get a cover?

+1
    There are a couple of OEM covers for the SS Xi on Ebay right now. I almost bought one last night, but don't want to dump any more money on that 'Ski.

So, I put in an inline fuel filter and put some more sea foam directly into the carb and it still would not get up to full throttle. I just gave up and took it to the local powersports shop. They pulled the fuel fulter off that I put on and said it runs fine now,..I said oh nooooo. It ran like s*&t before I put that on. They called me back and said I was right,.. they said it runs great with the hose on it and just taking off the filter did not fix the problem! They had better get one of their smarter kids on this one before I get mad. If I would've went and got it only to put it in the lake and have the same problem.... Why does it run differently in the lake is what has me stumped?

+1
    Dumping SeaFoam into the carb isn't going to do anything. It can only clean the carb if it's mixed with the fuel--and that's not really a good way to clean a carb. If it get to the point where it runs poorly, it needs to be disassembled and cleaned properly. Also, it's quite likely that the diaphragms and gaskets are due for replacement.

It runs differently in air and water because there is no load on the engine when it's in the air. When you have it parked in the driveway, on the trailer, and you rev it up, does it try to move? Of course not! The engine's not doing any work, it's just spinning.

I am not having good luck with my first ski so far. They told me it was ready to go (for a third time!) only for me to swim it to shore and drive it right back to them. They put their own inline filter in saying that mine was too large and needed to be elevated also. They said they ran it for an hour on the lake and it was great. It did not run for even one whole minute for me when I got it home. He thinks that there is alot of trash in the tank and I would need to clean out the inline filter periodically, but I could see nothing clogging the filter. Do you want another jetski in your garage?

+1
    Sounds like you need to change repair shops, as well as clean out the fuel tank and overhaul the carbs.

Thread Information