Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fx ho converting to closed loop cooling

Seing what other might think about this. I ride mostly in the river and ocean down here in florida and salt tears everything up no matter how much you flush. Since im putting a lot of money into rebuilding this engine and a lot of work doing a conversion ski in the process with an xlt 1200 hull.

Ive been looking at the option of running a racing go kart billet aluminum water pump off of the pto coupler or a billet end plate and driving the water pump off the oil pump shaft. So i have the pump figured out. But looking into if it would be possible to be able to run coolant through the rubber exhaust joint between the 2 pieces of the pipe or if it would get to hot and other means would have to be done.

I would be plugging off the holes in the bolt on exhaust piece at the end of the exhaust to keep coolant in. and would be adding a water injection nozzle so it will add water to the water box and keep me from melting couplers and hoses.

and will be running a heat exhanger system like a radiator with coolant in it with sea water around it. the heat exchanger being the sacraficial part.
    Im just wondering about if the large 90 degree rubber exhaust elbow will handle the heat of coolant being in it and not cool fresh sea water.

there are other ways i can accomplish this also with some custom gaskets or water passages welded shut in the exhaust to seperate the engine and the exhaust if i were to run coolant through the engine and sea water through the heat exchanger and the exhaust.

just trying to think of all possibilities before i jump into this and something unexpected shows its ugly head.

+1
    Sounds like your just creating alot of problems for yourself.......I would stick with open cooling. Even seadoo have a wet exhaust, from how I read it, you would be trying to include most of it in the closed loop.

+1
    If I really wanted CLC, I would just buy a Sea-Doo with CLC and use that for the ocean.

work on seadoo's all day long and not really a fan of them. rather have my yamaha. and nothing wrong with closed loop cooing as inboard marine engines incorporate the exhaust manifolds in the cooling system. and its not just an issue with the ocean unless im riding in a lake everything here is brackish or salt. the indian river has as much or more salt than the ocean. Sucks but its where i live. Its a conversion ski anyways so i don't mind the work, and with CAD a mill and a lathe can make anything i need to.

+1
    Since you work on Sea-Doos all day long and deal with conversions,
    I wonder if there is a way to adapt their proven CLC system to a Yamaha... just a thought. I know they use a special ride plate at least that's what came on our RXT's, but it's just a thought.

its definately an option but i was leaning more towards the water to water type heat exchanger type. The seadoo system is a great concept but would require an entirely new ride plate for the yamahas and limits the amount of time the ski can be run on the hose since the ride plate/ heat exchanger isn't sitting in cool water to dissipate its heat. would have been nice if yamaha would have closed loop cooling from the get go. don't understand on a ski that costs soo much to begin with why they would allow it to be open loop cooling when the engines cost almost double what a 2 stroke does. hopefully the racing kart billet water pump will have a large enough impeller to circulate the amount of coolant it will need to cool a 1000cc engine when it is intended for a 125cc 2 stroke. guess ill need to look at the size of a rotax 4 tec waterpump to size accordingly. with the right water/ water heat echanger the cool water coming from the pump should be enough to take the heat away and not determine cooling on just the pumps size.

my biggest set back that is a problem i can see is the big rubber exhaust joint/ boot. other than that seems totaly doable. just hoping to find out how hot one of these can run or if over 100 degrees is safe for the rubber exhaust boot between the pipes.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I see a few other problems, like under cooling or over cooling..........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    its definately an option but i was leaning more towards the water to water type heat exchanger type. The seadoo system is a great concept but would require an entirely new ride plate for the yamahas and limits the amount of time the ski can be run on the hose since the ride plate/ heat exchanger isn't sitting in cool water to dissipate its heat. would have been nice if yamaha would have closed loop cooling from the get go. don't understand on a ski that costs soo much to begin with why they would allow it to be open loop cooling when the engines cost almost double what a 2 stroke does. hopefully the racing kart billet water pump will have a large enough impeller to circulate the amount of coolant it will need to cool a 1000cc engine when it is intended for a 125cc 2 stroke. guess ill need to look at the size of a rotax 4 tec waterpump to size accordingly. with the right water/ water heat echanger the cool water coming from the pump should be enough to take the heat away and not determine cooling on just the pumps size.

my biggest set back that is a problem i can see is the big rubber exhaust joint/ boot. other than that seems totaly doable. just hoping to find out how hot one of these can run or if over 100 degrees is safe for the rubber exhaust boot between the pipes.
    Yeah I hear ya, I'm sure it's possible but I think the hassles associated with trying to jury rig then perfect an un-proven system like that (for me) would be far more painful that dealing with the flushing. There are plenty of guys who ride Yamahas exclusively in salt water here on the forum for many years and seem to deal with it pretty well as an added maintenance item, but I understand what you're saying and I wish you success.

Our RXT's came with the CLC and we never had a problem with it. Sea-doo seems to be the only manufacturer that has been able to perfect that CLC system for the U.S. PWC market and I'm sure it took a fair amount of R&D to get it right; but if you have the skills and patience I'm sure it can be done. I just don't think it's going to be as simple as you might think; If it's that simple why haven't the other manufacturers added it to their products.

It's kinda funny to me, because we do see guys on the Sea-Doo side going the opposite direction; converting their CLC skis to open loop from time to time. Also, I think there may be some Yamaha knock-offs in China on the market overseas that have a CLC system. At any rate, good luck in your quest and I hope you get it sorted out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    would have been nice if yamaha would have closed loop cooling from the get go. don't understand on a ski that costs soo much to begin with why they would allow it to be open loop cooling when the engines cost almost double what a 2 stroke does.

Why do you think open loop cooling is an issue? Out of the hundreds of thousands of cumulative hours on these skis, I haven't seen any threads on here about issues with open loop cooling on these skis. I think you will end up with more maintenance and more possibilities of break down issues by converting.

I rented an FX HO with 900 hours on it at the beach. I'm pretty sure it didn't have open loop cooling.

It it were an issue, I think the engineers at Yamaha would have done something about it.

+1
    Don't you hate when everyone shoots down your good idea? I for one think CLC is awesome and am all for it. Yama doesn't put them in because it's too expensive. Seadoo circumvents the under/overcooling issue with a thermostat. I don't think Yama's have one, do they? Also, how did you plan to drive the pump, with a belt or something? This part sounds the most questionable to me. Sounds like Yama doesn't have circulation pump like the seadoos... Lots of engineering concerns to overcome here, but I'd like to see someone achieve this. I've been successful in replacing the Seadoo ride plate heat exchanger with a water-water unit for my Challenger 4tec conversion. But I already had the waterpump and thermostat built in. Any updates since the last post?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information