2001 Seadoo GTX Problems

I'm new to the forum but have been reading several posts trying to figure out my problem to no avail...so here goes.

I have a 2001 Seadoo GTX. Last summer everything seemed to be working fine. At the end of the season, everything was cleaned up and the unit was stored in my storage unit over the winter. I live in Katy, Texas so our winters aren't really anything to worry about. Anyway, last week I got them out of storage to take them to the lake for the first time this weekend. I charged the batteries on both this Seadoo and my other unit (2005 Kawasaki STX-15F). The Kawasaki has no problems. However, the Seadoo battery did not take a charge and would not crank. I decided the battery was shot and bought a new one (in fact, it appears as though the old battery was leaking some kind of blue fluid???). Anyway, put the new, charged battery into the Seadoo and it started up and ran fine for a few seconds. I shut it down and proceeded to clean up all of my tools, etc. Afterwards, I tried to start it up again. The engine cranked, started then died like the DESS has been pulled but the gauges all went blank. Pull the key, put it back in, get 2 beeps, engine cranks and starts, runs for a second and same thing. Now sometimes when the key is put on it won't beep. Sometimes it won't crank and instead I get a loud, long single beep. I thought maybe it was the new battery, so I pulled the good battery from my Kawasaki dropped it in the Seadoo and tried again...same result.

So...any ideas what is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to try and fix it myself but not sure if that is possible at this point. The local Seadoo dealer has quit servicing 2-strokes so I have located a few places I could take it...just wanted to see if maybe it was something simple I could fix on my own first.

Thanks for your time!!

+1
    pm sent

Did you get a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by woyster99 View Post
    I'm new to the forum but have been reading several posts trying to figure out my problem to no avail...so here goes.

I have a 2001 Seadoo GTX. Last summer everything seemed to be working fine. At the end of the season, everything was cleaned up and the unit was stored in my storage unit over the winter. I live in Katy, Texas so our winters aren't really anything to worry about. Anyway, last week I got them out of storage to take them to the lake for the first time this weekend. I charged the batteries on both this Seadoo and my other unit (2005 Kawasaki STX-15F). The Kawasaki has no problems. However, the Seadoo battery did not take a charge and would not crank. I decided the battery was shot and bought a new one (in fact, it appears as though the old battery was leaking some kind of blue fluid???). Anyway, put the new, charged battery into the Seadoo and it started up and ran fine for a few seconds. I shut it down and proceeded to clean up all of my tools, etc. Afterwards, I tried to start it up again. The engine cranked, started then died like the DESS has been pulled but the gauges all went blank. Pull the key, put it back in, get 2 beeps, engine cranks and starts, runs for a second and same thing. Now sometimes when the key is put on it won't beep. Sometimes it won't crank and instead I get a loud, long single beep. I thought maybe it was the new battery, so I pulled the good battery from my Kawasaki dropped it in the Seadoo and tried again...same result.

So...any ideas what is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to try and fix it myself but not sure if that is possible at this point. The local Seadoo dealer has quit servicing 2-strokes so I have located a few places I could take it...just wanted to see if maybe it was something simple I could fix on my own first.

Thanks for your time!!

Did Jim help you with a fix? I have an 02 GTX DI that is doing the same thing. Was it the post? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyGee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woyster99 View Post

Thanks for your time!!

Did Jim help you with a fix? I have an 02 GTX DI that is doing the same thing. Was it the post? Thanks.
    Sent you a PM.

+1
    Why the private messages?

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo timebomb View Post
    Why the private messages?
    Again, I ask why respond through PM? Greenhulk.net is a place for consumers, and shop to go and find info.. Its a free site, and the info is free.. I guess it might be easy to ask questions thru PM, and respond.. But in the joys of not re-posting the same questions.. I feel that some of us would LOVE to know what you found? I'm NOT trying to rock the boat (rock the boat baby! dont rock the boat...sorry Family guy moment) but again.. 3 people are asking why PM.. I'll come out right..What is it you found? I have a customer coming in soon, and I have ideas, but I use my tools at hand...(greenhulk) and do homework on what others have found, or are doing. Machine has a charging problem.. Same deal.. Maybe its a goofy response and dont want to upset, or embarrass.. Long tones, i think that might be KEY realated.. Bad port, dirt in key.. But other wise.. I'm curious. sorry if ive upset... just want to share the knowledge.. an find the knowledge..

I'm sorry for the private message way back when. Jim PM'ed me to call him with his phone number. In my reply to the other poster, I gave him Jim's phone number to call him for help. I thought that Jim would appreciate me keeping his phone number out of the main forum. I'm sorry.

Anyway, I called Jim and he provided all the help he could. Was very helpful in trying to find the problem. Mine was doing the problems I described at first. When I got in touch with Jim it started doing other things...ran but the gauge didn't work. Jim thought it was the MPM so I took it out and shipped it to him to check in another unit. MPM was fine so we thought possibly the gauge. When I got the MPM back, miraculously the gauge was working again. I took it out to the lake and had no problems. I took it again two weeks later and the gauge was in and out. So, who knows. Haven't had them out again in 10+ months.

I would just recommend contacting Jim.

+1
    Another local members awasome...

Thread Information