Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Bad Kill Switch Symptoms...

I have a 1998 SLTH that died suddenly. No spark to plugs.

I replaced the ignition with the upgrade kit (stator, CDI, and coil). The kill switch wire must be disconnected to start the ski.

I have a couple of questions...

1 - Has anyone out there had to replace their start/stop switch unit to fix a similar problem?

2 - With the new stuff installed, it drains the battery. I think something is shorted. Could the bad kill switch be causing the drain on the battery?

Thanks.

Pritchard

1998 Polaris SLTH
    2004 SeaDoo GTI LE RFI

Banned User
    +1
    The kill switch should have nothing to do with the battery. The start switch could. You should be able to unplug the two connectors under the handlebar that are for the start and stop switch and see if thats causing the issue.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. I'll check that tomorrow. These electrical problems are driving me nuts!

Banned User
    +1
    Also check to make sure you didn't pinch any wires along the way while you were working on it.

+1
    I might have found the problem, sort of.

I found that the red/purple wire in the electrical box was warm. I checked it with the multimeter and found that it is shorted to ground. Now I just have to find WHERE it is shorted. Any ideas about where to check before I completely remove all the new stuff would be appreciated. I sure don't want to pull that stator out again.

Banned User
    +1
    Check the cable exit where it leaves the flywheel housing. Hopefully you didn't pinch it under where the flywheel is.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The stator battery charging coil is directly connected to Red/Purple. The other end of that stator coil is a Yellow wire which in turn connects to the LR module. If the LR module is faulty or the Yellow wire is otherwise grounded then you have a direct path to ground through the stator charging coil.

If you disconnect the Yellow stator wire in the electrical box, does the battery discharge current cease?

+1
    No. Even with the yellow wire from the stator unplugged, the red/purple is still shorted to ground. I am getting 1 ohm of resistance between the red/purple and ground if this helps.

BTW, I have never mentioned that the ski cut off after hitting a big wave and the ski taking a jolt. But it started right back up and continued to run OK for another hour until it hit another wave and took another jolt. This time, the ski was completely dead.

Thanks for the help. You guys are great.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you disconnected and isolated each Red/Purple wire from the others, and from the terminal board? Once they are all separated it should be straight forward to find the short.

BTW, I am assuming the battery positive cable is fully disconnected while you are doing these resistance checks.

+1
    I disconnected each red/purple wire and tested them individually. The only red/purple wire that is shorted is the one coming from the stator. And yes, the battery is fully disconnected.

I guess I'll be pulling the stator tomorrow and checking for pinched/bare wires touching the block or something. What fun!!

What if I don't find anything obvious? Could my new stator be bad? What would I do to test this? Thanks again for the help. Your info is giving me hope that I'll see this ski run again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information