Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

opinions on oil pumps please

Thought i would take a few pictures adn ask what needs replacing. I know both shafts with their respective blades and the circular piece with the same pattern as the blade need replacing. But what about the surface of the oil pump? Especially the ones i can't get a seperate component for and need to get a whole housing for? Thanks you all have been a huge help!

+1
    Use some fine emory cloth and soak it in oil and sand the housings in a circular motion very easily, it doesnt take much, but can be successful in repairing damaged oil pump surfaces...

+1
    On all my oil pan fixes I have always replaced all the parts except the more expensive housing and have never had one come barack. Why try to sand something thats made to have tight tolerances to work properly. Is like 200 in part to do it right

Isnt the second picture the more expensive housing? And i may be sensing some conflicting opinions here lol but i want this to last and im opting for a 215 conversion but the first picture shows what ill be replacing as of now, $50 x 2 = 100 so far.

+1
    yes i would just replace parts in pic one and three, same with the other oil pump if your in there

The other pump is a little less damaged but ill do the same to it. That shaft also connects to the waterpump, so im guessing it's longer. Does it just slide off?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon4879 View Post
    The other pump is a little less damaged but ill do the same to it. That shaft also connects to the waterpump, so im guessing it's longer. Does it just slide off?
    there are special tools you use with a shop press to get the water pump shaft apart, i have the tools as well

The water pump impeller is left hand threaded on, then the shaft just slides through. On my '05 RXP anyways. You can find the complete OEM rebuild kits for both oil pumps on ebay for like $100 each that replace every part except for the large aluminum housings. As far as the two large housings go, I think they would still work okay as long as they aren't severely gouged. The oil pressure regulator will compensate for some of that, and if you look in the shop manual the maximum clearance between the pumpgear tooth and housing is like ~0.008 which is quite a big gap that the new parts didn't have.

+1
    you are correct about the impeller but the shaft its pressed into that sealed bearing it will not just slide out, if it has then you might need some new parts

well i need to replace those parts, at least i think so. So any ideas? I dont have special tools

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information