Need help with gp 1200r...Runs fine at idle then no power when trying to geddy up--go

OK, here's the million dollar question. As the name states, I dont know crap about wave runners. Built a couple hundred mustangs over the years and v-8's etc. I am looking to buy a wave runner that a friend showed me. He does not know the owner. Its a 2001 Yahama gp1200r. Starts right up, no issues....

Guy said that when he had it in the water last year. It would start out great..about 1 minute into running it, it would start to bog and sputter out. He would feather the throttle and it might say running or it could die...Would start back up.

He was told carbs were clogged from ethanol fuels. I don't think so....

I need to find out two things...

1) Is a non running waverunner worth $1000????

2) what could the issue be for this,. Carbs are $600 new..not gonna do that. How hard to work on....My friend has two early yamaha 1993-95 waverunners and loves them.

He has worked in his and says we can fix this.

Any help is appreicated.

Thanks...I will try to get some more info.

Don

973-277-4294

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowcrap View Post
    OK, here's the million dollar question. As the name states, I dont know crap about wave runners. Built a couple hundred mustangs over the years and v-8's etc. I am looking to buy a wave runner that a friend showed me. He does not know the owner. Its a 2001 Yahama gp1200r. Starts right up, no issues....

Guy said that when he had it in the water last year. It would start out great..about 1 minute into running it, it would start to bog and sputter out. He would feather the throttle and it might say running or it could die...Would start back up.

He was told carbs were clogged from ethanol fuels. I don't think so....

I need to find out two things...

1) Is a non running waverunner worth $1000????

2) what could the issue be for this,. Carbs are $600 new..not gonna do that. How hard to work on....My friend has two early yamaha 1993-95 waverunners and loves them.

He has worked in his and says we can fix this.

Any help is appreicated.

Thanks...I will try to get some more info.

Don

973-277-4294
    sounds like carbs. need to be rebuild.

is it worth a $1000 gamble to buy it???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowcrap View Post
    is it worth a $1000 gamble to buy it???
    If it is just the carbs, you could get all the parts to rebuild all three for about $200. Its not too hard for someone who has rebuilt car engines, and there are lots of posts here on how to do it, including pictures. Check the How To FAQs.

I'd check the compression. If it good in all three cylinders, then chances are good you could get it up and running without too much effort. If the compression is bad in one or more of the cylinders, then it is a lot more work and $, but still doable.

+1
    If it's in great shape even with low compression on one cylinder it's worth a grand. If compression is good it's a no brainer.

Could be an exhaust leak. Exhaust builds up in the hull eventually choking out the engine. Let it sit long enough or take off the seat and the engine compartment airs out. Fire her back up and she's fine for a couple minutes until the exhaust builds up enough to choke the engine again.

Happened to my 2003 around 2-3 hours. $.25 strap was loose.

i think any ski with a whole motor (no cracked block) and complete hull (no cracks) is worth $1000.

2001 model definitely is. For $1000, even if it costs $1000 to get her going you could easily get your money back.

+1
    You said it was run last year.....so it has sat with ethanol in the carbs for several months to a year. And it will start and run. Check compression, if it's good jump on it and rebuild carbs, rejetting to OSB's recipe for success. (See the how to section). No way I'd buy a couple of old units when you can have a 1200r. To do everything to make it bulletproof costs 750-900, which includes carb rebuilds, rejet, replacement of oil lines, FA's, pump shoe seal kit, intake grate, wave eater clips and couplers, And, some of that stuff may already be there. If compression is good, jump on it. 1000...you may get it for less, 900 investment....ski is worth 3000-3250 in great shape. No brainer.

+1
    Y'all do know this thread is over 4 years old Right.

So it was an even better bargain 4 years ago!

Thread Information