Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2003 Yamaha FX140 Won't Start

Hey guys this is my first post here at greenhulk. Awesome site tons of great info. Let's see if you all could help me out with my FX140. I took it to the keys for memorial day weekend and ran the crap out of it on Saturday. Went home flushed the engine. Filled up the the tank on sunday with fuel and took it to the water and it didn't start. I figured maybe the battery was low due to all the starting and stopping we did the day before. Came home. Charged the battery and nothing still no start. It will turn over but not start.

We drove home then I started running through everything I could with my limited knowledge. So far there is fuel pressure plenty of juice in the battery and fresh fuel. The only thing is that there is no spark. It'll spark once and then that's it. It seems like the coil packs aren't getting any electricity.

Any ideas?

O and it's got 208.7 hours on it.

Thanks.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrasportpilot View Post
    Hey guys this is my first post here at greenhulk. Awesome site tons of great info. Let's see if you all could help me out with my FX140. I took it to the keys for memorial day weekend and ran the crap out of it on Saturday. Went home flushed the engine. Filled up the the tank on sunday with fuel and took it to the water and it didn't start. I figured maybe the battery was low due to all the starting and stopping we did the day before. Came home. Charged the battery and nothing still no start. It will turn over but not start.

We drove home then I started running through everything I could with my limited knowledge. So far there is fuel pressure plenty of juice in the battery and fresh fuel. The only thing is that there is no spark. It'll spark once and then that's it. It seems like the coil packs aren't getting any electricity.

Any ideas?

O and it's got 208.7 hours on it.

Thanks.
    do you have a check engine light flashing on when you are cranking it, a bad cooling temp sensor can also cause it to loose spark at the spark plugs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    do you have a check engine light flashing on when you are cranking it, a bad cooling temp sensor can also cause it to loose spark at the spark plugs.
    Nope, the check engine light is not flashing when cranking. Man I'm stumped and this is frustrating.

Maybe this'll help a little. First of all... do you have any basic electrical skills? If so, you could take an electrical diagram of your ski and troubleshoot it by tracing the problem out. If you don't have this experience then you can learn it with a little effort. I'm not sure about your ski without looking at it, but it's likely that the problem is simple. Could be something like a bad kill switch or blown fuse. I traced a motor out last year and thought initially it was a bad CDI box. Turns out it was a bad kill switch. The pulsing coil in your stator assembly should be sending a small voltage (less than 1 volt) to a CDI box that initiates a spark. The voltage to spark plugs is usually around 100 volts. Maybe this will help you get started. If someone on here has a electrical diagram of it that I could look at, I could help you trace it out. Anyone have the diagram?
    Last edited by shoalscreekski; 06-11-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalscreekski View Post
    Maybe this'll help a little. First of all... do you have any basic electrical skills? If so, you could take an electrical diagram of your ski and troubleshoot it by tracing the problem out. If you don't have this experience then you can learn it with a little effort. I'm not sure about your ski without looking at it, but it's likely that the problem is simple. Could be something like a bad kill switch or blown fuse. I traced a motor out last year and thought initially it was a bad CDI box. Turns out it was a bad kill switch. The pulsing coil in your stator assembly should be sending a small voltage (less than 1 volt) to a CDI box that initiates a spark. The voltage to spark plugs is usually around 100 volts. Maybe this will help you get started. If someone on here has a electrical diagram of it that I could look at, I could help you trace it out. Anyone have the diagram?
    Yes I do have basic electrical skills. Which is a plus. So far I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. I do have the electrical diagram. Let me see if I can post it here somehow. I'm sure the problem is simple.

What is the stator assembly? What does it do?

+1
    Here is the wiring diagram.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamaha fx140 wiring diagram.jpg 
Views:	2805 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	274239

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it's the main relay #5. check to see if it's proving current on both legs you can check the connector and or tap it a few times with a bit of wood to see if you can get a proper start out of it..then replace it... I've seen these crap out lots of times. be careful working around the emm..it's a brutal pricey bit

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    it's the main relay #5. check to see if it's proving current on both legs you can check the connector and or tap it a few times with a bit of wood to see if you can get a proper start out of it..then replace it... I've seen these crap out lots of times. be careful working around the emm..it's a brutal pricey bit
    So do I have to pull apart the complete box? Or can I tap the outside of it?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you have to open the vault to check it. Sorry.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you have to open the vault to check it. Sorry.
    Ok no problem I will check it on Thursday when I have my day off. I'll let you know what I find. Is there anything else that I should check while I'm there?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information