Newby Blows up his ski, then recovers the hard way.

Ok, lots more to come about how I'm now scrambling to get this ski together and running after burning it up last season 'hot dogging it' as my wife says.

Knew i'd need to clean the carbs and do the triple outlet fuel pump work, but we risked it and lost big. Good thing was that wife likes going, and wants that ski fixed pronto!

her ski just needs the whole carb cleanout new fuel pump rigamarol, but the one I was on needs new piston in addition, its got no compression in rear cyl.

So this leads to my first need of help from the polaris online community: How to remove the stuck water outlet manifold on a 750? I've got the 6 bolts out, and the hose removed, but it won't budge. I can't even get the head off to see what happened. Don't want to cause myself more work than I already have by breaking stuff, so I'm proceeding cautiously.

ok, got it off, a pry between the exhaust pipe and the manifold popped it loose with no damage to either. So much for preserving the gaskets though.

So here's the damage:

front two pistons look good like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-10_21-16-21_932.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	274196

Rear piston not so good like this:

Name:	2012-06-10_21-15-43_881.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	274197

No hole but lots of scoring to the piston looks like some serious metal damage went on, and it seems to have "slack" where the front two pistons seem tied together tight, the burnt piston drops about 1/4" or more after going over TDC on its own. this seems very bad. Not what I expected to see. stopped tonight, tomorrow I'll get a shorter extension to get the exhaust system off, so I can pull the jug off and have a look.

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like you may have lost a rod bearing. I'd be willing to bet a new crank is in order.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I'd be willing to bet a new crank is in order.
    +1

Yep Toasted the main

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Sounds like you may have lost a rod bearing. I'd be willing to bet a new crank is in order.

Sourced another free sl 750 with "burned piston". I pick it up tomorrow, and will tear it down, hopefully it has a good crank & rods.

Banned User
    +1
    Hot dogging had nothing to do with that. That was going to fail no matter how you rode it. When you put it back together, ride it like you stole it, after breaking it in of course. Might be a good time to hone and re ring the other 2 cylinders so you are starting off with an essentially new motor when you are finished.

Finally obtained the free parts ski (94 sl 750), tore the heads off it to find:

Name:	2012-06-26_22-13-53_904.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	275642
    NO holes in any pistons,

Name:	2012-06-26_22-14-10_41.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	275643
    All 3 pistons are locked up. Also, they have the "1.00" stamp on the pistons, so this ski has been re-sleeved or bored and is of no use to matching up with my other 750?

Name:	2012-06-26_22-14-31_148.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	275644

What to do now? disconnect from drive to see if its the engine or the pump that's locked? Is there an easy way to get them disconnected? There's rust in the center cylinder, so that's got me dismayed. I'd like it just to be the pump and have a good crank. Am i "whistling past the graveyard"?

Its free so who cares, I would yank those jugs, split the case and see what the crank looks like.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Personally, sell what you can to buy the stuff you need.

Thread Information