Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

4 place trailer question

Ski outings in 2 vehicles are getting to be a pain so I am seriously thinking of getting a 4 place trailer. I found a new 06 Triton elite out the door for $4800 but I worry about how long an aluminum trailer will hold up. It is rated for 4200 lbs. I can get a galvanized converted pontoon trailer for $3K and may be ok, but it is only rated for 3700 lbs. Now for $7500, I can get a Shadow rated for 10500 lbs. Hot dipped galvanized, powder-coated, all the bells and whistles, and I would get the pleasure of driving to California to get it. The Shadow looks like it would last for ever, but it would be hard to justify that kind of money on a trailer.
    I'm really leaning towards the Triton but I would like to hear from some 4 place owners or anyone with any other ideas.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    put bigger springs and axles on the pontoon trailer you can get the stuff at northern or and trailer place

+1
    I found a guy in Conroe that can make an aluminum out of 4" I beam that will hold 4 sit downs and 1 stand up for $3000. Looks like I'm going to Conroe Saturday to check out his work.

I've had 2 Triton 4 place trailers - a 99 and a 04. Loved them both. Triton stands by their products 100% and I'd take mine anywhere. The 04 has been over 8000 miles so far since I bought it - all with big skis (2 RXPs, 2 GTXs 4 techs) - and zero problems. I paid $3200 for it in 2005 (it was a dealer demo that still came with 1 year warranty). See if you can get some wiggle room on the price they gave you.

+1

4 place trailer

Go to www.yachtclubtrailers.com and click on watercraft trailers on there home page they have a four place trailer for $2955.00 painted new. I have not owned one but the price is good!
    Last edited by 2fast4u; 01-23-2007 at 08:52 PM.

+1
    Trighton is awesome stuff. It takes bumps better than my fi50.

Gpr114 has a 4 place trighton for sale for 2500.

+1

Unhappy

What are the 4 skis you plan on putting on the trailer? Personally, if you put 4 Seadoo 4 strokes on a Triton, it will exceed the maximum capacity of the trailer and the axles. I'll bet the Triton has 2 ea 2500 lb axles at most. It's designed for the weight of the 2 strokes skis.

My 4 place has 3500 lb axles and when I'm fully loaded with 1 GTX, 1 RXP, 2 XP's, box loaded, gas cans and Doo's fully gassed, I weighed in at just under 6K including the tounge weight. I travel at 75 to 80 MPH and constantly monitor my tires since I've blown one and separated a sidewall hitting a pot hole. Since you're in TX and have high interstate speed limits, I highly recommend a heaver duty trailer. If you have 2 stroke models, the Triton will do fine as long as you don't carry much more on it.

+1
    Just the info I was looking for Fast-XPL.
    Currently, I have 2 GPRs, 1 Ultra150, and a Superjet. I am thinking about picking up another Ultra and I wanted to have the 4 sit downs, and the superjet on 1 trailer. I carry (2) 5 gal jugs for each ski, sh!t load of tools, water toys, 2-3 gallons of oil, chairs, ice chests, and on and on. With everything, I'm quessing I would be pushing 4000 lbs. The triton is rated @ 4200 so I know I would be working the trailer hard. I found a guy near hear who makes custom trailers and can build what I want, with (2) 3500 axles so that is probably what I will end up going with. He said we could build in the ability to add a 3rd axle, if I ever had the need. Price wise, it will even be cheaper than the triton and I think the trailer will be closer to the ability of a Shadow. And yes, I rarely pull under 70 mph.

+1
    I've had aluminum trailers and the re-sell value is awesome They are strong and light weight if built correctly. I constantly modify my trailers and have no TIG experience or tools so I stick with Steel. I also like to use my trailer as a huge picnic table, tanning table and hay ride trailer on the beach so it's heavier then most. It's all decked with marine grade 3/4" plywood and my bunks are removeable. Since you're going with aluminum, don't worry about the 3rd axle and make sure they get the 2 positioned correctly for your load.

On another note, make sure the person building your trailer will build it with VERY LITTLE down. I've had a few friends contract to have a small shop build them a trailer. They ended up with no trailer and lost their deposit. Another guy's trailer had 800 lbs of toungue weight because they screwed up on the location of the axle and a HUGE tool box on the front.

Check here for some ideas before you have yours built. You may want to deck yours too.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...6344&members=1

+1
    Good advice. Thanks. I was going to go meet with him and look at some of the other trailers he builds before I do anything. The engineer from my office already told me he would come with me so I can be assured that the trailer will be built correctly. I'll post what happens as it developes.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information