Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Polaris SL650: It Certainly Keeps the Bugs Away?!

Quick survey questions here... but does your SL650 smoke like hell? I have a 1995 along with a 1996 SeaDoo and my Polaris fumigates smoke like I'm killing mosquitoes or something.

I always use the recommended oil and typically run high octane fuel, and I know 2 strokes tend to smoke, but mine really smokes... Is that normal? and if so is there anyway to mitigate it some? Otherwise this ski runs like a champ... I know if it aint broke, dont fix it... but I was just wondering

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tripn4days View Post
    Quick survey questions here... but does your SL650 smoke like hell? I have a 1995 along with a 1996 SeaDoo and my Polaris fumigates smoke like I'm killing mosquitoes or something.

I always use the recommended oil and typically run high octane fuel, and I know 2 strokes tend to smoke, but mine really smokes... Is that normal? and if so is there anyway to mitigate it some? Otherwise this ski runs like a champ... I know if it aint broke, dont fix it... but I was just wondering

Thanks!
    Oil injection or premix?
    If oil injection, fixed rate or variable?
    If premix, what ratio are you running?

Greetings from NE Ohio BlueFish! I havent come across many fellow NE Ohioans here...

I'm just running original oil injection. As far as I'm aware, it is a "fixed" but variable rate, meaning more oil at hi RPMS than at low RPMS, but I dont think the rate itself is something I can adjust.

Is the injection rate adjustable on this ski?! That would be news to me.

So, your SL650 (or your 750 I guess) doesnt smoke much then? Hmmmmmm....

PS: Your signature, "Saving the Planet One Polaris at a Time" really made me laugh, as just yesterday my wife was complaining, through a wafting cloud of my 2-Cycle smoke machine, about how bad my Polaris must be for the planet! I told her its just because it's a 2 cycle... though she doesnt know what that means or that her SeaDoo is the same...

+1
    Haha! Yeah... my premix 780... running extra rich 32:1 ratio for new ring break-in is a fumigator too!

You have the standard, non-variable oil injection pump... like I have on my 750. The 780's came with a variable oil pump that had linkage to the carb throttles that would lean out oil injection at idle and slow speeds and richen it back up at higher throttle loads. The non-adjustable ones run the same all the time with only RPMs varying the amount (like you mentioned). My 750 does smoke a little when idling/putzing around slow. Or when towing and plowing through the water (not on plane or high rpms)... smokes out the towee! haha. But it doesn't make a cloud like you describe. My 780 does!

So yeah... yours sounds extra smokey. Did it just start happening? Different brand of 2-stroke oil? Regular or Synthetic oil?

Cheers!

+1
    The older oil pumps do not have the variable rate arm that connects to the throttle linkage. They are full oil full time.... Sounds like yours is the variable rate......

When it comes to the amount of smoke, I think it is all relative. Run a decarbon on your motor and we'll talk about a lot of smoke!!! I run premix so I guess I just expected the smoke...

Where do you ride??

The saving the planet line is based on avoiding the landfill...... even though it pollutes the air and water...!!! HAA!!

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Haha! Yeah... my premix 780... running extra rich 32:1 ratio for new ring break-in is a fumigator too! You have the standard, non-variable oil injection pump... My 750 does smoke a little when idling/putzing around slow. Or when towing and plowing through the water (not on plane or high rpms)... smokes out the towee! haha. But it doesn't make a cloud like you describe. My 780 does!

So yeah... yours sounds extra smokey. Did it just start happening? Different brand of 2-stroke oil? Regular or Synthetic oil?

Cheers!
    Yeah, I think that's just how it is. It's always been that way since I've owned the ski. The lake is like a 20 minute "Slow No Wake" ride from the ramp I put in, and it's during this portion of the ride that you notice it the most. But on a still day (like yesterday) when you look down the narrow, cliff-lined river you'll notice it's nicely "fogged"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    When it comes to the amount of smoke, I think it is all relative. I run premix so I guess I just expected the smoke...
    I'd think premix or otherwise if the ratio is the same, you'd prolly get same kind of smoke.

Where do you ride??
    Lake Erie: Fairport Harbor (where I live) and on a smooth SW winded day, I'll rock Mentor Headlands all the way down to Geneva On choppy NE winds, I'll run up and down the Grand River, provided it has rained in the last few days.

The saving the planet line is based on avoiding the landfill ... even though it pollutes the air and water! HAA!!
    I figured as much, but had to laugh at the ironic timing of it all. Mother nature's dirt thanks us; EPA Air Quality Control might feel otherwise

+1
    If you have a 95 they have variable rate oil injection pump, check to make sure the rod that actuates it didn't come off, if it does the pump will go to a default of FULL oil injection all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    If you have a 95 they have variable rate oil injection pump, check to make sure the rod that actuates it didn't come off, if it does the pump will go to a default of FULL oil injection all the time.
    Really?! I had no idea. Is the rod easily accessible? Does it only go on one way, or does it need to be reset once it has been reattached?

Quote Originally Posted by tripn4days View Post
    Really?! I had no idea. Is the rod easily accessible? Does it only go on one way, or does it need to be reset once it has been reattached?

Although when I watch the engine run, the oil certainly drips comes out more frequently under high RPMs than low. So I must be fine... Out of curiosity though, does your SL650 emit low-smoke?

+1
    You have to take off the airbox to access the arm that goes from the throttle linkage to the oil pump. You can see it with a mirror & flashlight to see if it is attached & moving with the throttle. The arm just goes up & down. Mine is a 94 so it has fixed rate injection & smokes only on a cold start, then no noticable smoke, unless I idle for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information