Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    Courtice, Ontario

Does fuel filter shape matter?

While I had the engine out of my GP1200 I was looking ahead for other potentially problematic issues. I eyeballed the fuel filter which appeared to still be the original (or at least factory) Yamaha oval shaped one, secured in the rubber grommet in the factory location.

The filter was pretty dirty and there was visible sediment on the bottom.

I had a few generic round filters as below sitting in my parts bins:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KO-2405013S.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	274205

I pulled the old one off and slid this into the stock rubber grommet - it fit ok and clipped back into the stock location.

Anything to be concerned about? Was the original oval Yamaha filter "special" in any way? The fuel system was completely empty when I went to start it for the break-in and it easily drew fuel through the filter - the only thing I noticed is that it's not full, still quite a lot of air in the top half of the filter. I guess I could slide it off the grommet and orient it for a few seconds while the ski runs on the hose so that it draws out the air, or does it matter?

The inlet and outlet are more than big enough to supply proper fuel amounts (actually bigger than the OEM one I think) and it's secure.

The yamaha filter is oval with the inlet/outlet at the top to give a low point for water and debris to accumalate. Nobody talks about it much, but the original filter is a mesh screen and theoretically could be reverse flow cleaned. Not that I would, but I have considered it.

Thread Information