Removing lower block case

I had a ceramic disk shatter on my SC with only 46 hours on my 2006 RXT. I rebuilt the SC and decided to go after the parts of the ceramic disk. I removed the housing for the scavenge oil (oil suction) pump, the screws were over tightened from the factory and I broke multiple screws. (It also looks like BRP has replaced the original screws (aluminum?) with stainless steel) I was able to drill the screws out and started the process of tapping the holes. On the last hole, the tap snapped below the surface. I did the research and couldn't get it out on my own. Talked with my local machine shop and they can get it out but the part with the snapped tap needs to be off the engine. The good news is that the tap is stuck in the lower half of the engine block. The shop manual tells me that I have to remove the cylinder head, starter gear, and starter drive. Can someone tell me if I really need to remove these parts to take the cylinder block lower half off? Studying the diagrams all of the bolts for this are on the bottom. Can I flip the engine over, remove the screws, and carefully lift the lower half off without removing the extra things?

Welcome to Greenhulk.

If you have a ceramic washer failure, the only sensible thing to do is to completely disassemble the engine and clean it out. Since you have other issues that warrant removal of the engine, you will be most of the way there anyway. There are many threads on this.

I highly doubt that the screws were over-tightened. These screws rarely break, and usually only from corrosion which affects salt water skis mostly. Whoever owned it before you probably turned them the wrong way.....

Make sure after reading the threads on ceramic washer failure cleanout that you replace the things that need replaced. It is highly advisable to replace the cam chain too, since it often gets weakened when the ceramic bits get chewed up in it.

If you decide not to clean it out, you might get a few months of use out of it before it blows.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Welcome to Greenhulk.

If you have a ceramic washer failure, the only sensible thing to do is to completely disassemble the engine and clean it out. Since you have other issues that warrant removal of the engine, you will be most of the way there anyway. There are many threads on this.

I highly doubt that the screws were over-tightened. These screws rarely break, and usually only from corrosion which affects salt water skis mostly. Whoever owned it before you probably turned them the wrong way.....

Make sure after reading the threads on ceramic washer failure cleanout that you replace the things that need replaced. It is highly advisable to replace the cam chain too, since it often gets weakened when the ceramic bits get chewed up in it.

If you decide not to clean it out, you might get a few months of use out of it before it blows.
    +1

Thread Information