Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ahh....where am I?
    +1

Need help removing drive shaft! Or borrow the Drive Shaft tool.

I've been trying for a few hours to remove the drive shaft of my 05 GTX Limited. Same as RXT.

I have spun the impeller on the drive shaft, so the impeller splines, and drive shaft splines have worn down. I'm trying to remove the shaft, to ensure I can do this myself. I've read the directions, then reread the directions. I've searched the forums for tips on removing the shaft w/o the tool.

I can't get the thing to budge. I have been trying the block of wood and 2 screwdrivers to pry the #37 support ring back, but the shaft moves with it. I put the pump and impeller back on, and uncrewed the impeller to push back on the shaft, so the support ring could move independent of the shaft, but it's still stuck. I'm thinking there's rust locking it together.

I've been WD40'ing it, and I'm going to try some rust dissolver next.

Diagram of what I'm working on.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=121&B=12

I already have the new c-clip, I'm just trying to expose the current one, so I can remove it, to pull the shaft out. Once I have it out, I'll order the new impeller, and new shaft.

I'm looking for any more tips, or if someone has the removal tool I can borrow + a little thank you. Will pay for shipping both ways obv.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Will try this method again, since I've soaked it with WD40.

It sucks, with no light, and minimal working room to see this c-clip.

+1
    Put a socket in the prop spline hole and reinstall the rear end carefully, the socket will push the driveshaft forward and it will be bolted in... Then push the hat back to expose the c clip and pop it out with a small screwdriver... Then unbolt the rear and pull the shaft out... Exact opposite for reinstall. I've changed mine many times like this

+1
    Were you planning to reuse the top hat?? My top hat was completely rusted to the shaft as you have explained. I bashed the crap out of mine with every tool I could get my hands on to get the thing to budge!! One thing I found really helpful was getting a pair of vice grips and getting a good grip on the stainless steel top hat. When you have a good grip, work the thing back and forth to get it to rotate on the shaft. It takes a fair amount of persuasion, but eventually you should get the top hat free on the shaft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by geowelsh View Post
    Put a socket in the prop spline hole and reinstall the rear end carefully, the socket will push the driveshaft forward and it will be bolted in... Then push the hat back to expose the c clip and pop it out with a small screwdriver... Then unbolt the rear and pull the shaft out... Exact opposite for reinstall. I've changed mine many times like this
    It is much more difficult than this when the thing is corroded badly, but this is good advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    It is much more difficult than this when the thing is corroded badly, but this is good advice.
    Nothing a rubber mallet and some blows can't over come.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    I'll try this. Perhaps unscrewing the impeller isn't giving it enough clearance, so adding something to give it more of a gap might help.

Will also clip on the Vice-grips.

I ride in rough salt water, and that area of the motor is hard to rinse, so I'm sure rust is playing a big part in this.

Quote Originally Posted by geowelsh View Post

+1
    Didnt see the still stuck part... Yet my ski has neve seen saltwater, so I guess I won't have to worry about that happening.

+1 on the bigger mallet.

+1
    I'd go ahead and order a new top hat if you don't have one. Your nearly definitely going to damage it in the removal process.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Another question... If I keep pushing on the drive shaft, whats going to hold the top hat. Wont it just slide forward with the shaft. Also, what is the shaft being pushed into. Any risk of damaging whats up front? Just wondering how much force I should use. Don't want to get the shaft stuck in the motor.

@monaroman76 I hope to avoid that, because before I really looked into where to pry, I was prying against the carbon ring. I hope I didn't frack that up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information