Who would do that?

Learn quite a bit daily by reading this great forum. I've read through all the "catalytic converter" discussions, but I have one question if anyone can help. Would someone just install a sensor chip and not install the Dplate? The chip has been installed in my 2000 GP1200 and mechanic told me to stick a hanger where the sensor goes into the pipe to see if it hits a converter. Hanger will go way past where cat should be so between that and the chip being installed I'm 85% certain there's a Dplate. How can I be 100% sure without removing the exhaust? Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Cat sticks out about 3 inches on either side of the flange. The Dplate is just "the flange" stick your hanger in mark the depth, pull the hanger out and check your mark on the outside of the exhaust from the sensor hole to the flange , if its the same then dplate is there, if about 3 inch difference, cat.
    Most would tell you to pull the exhaust just to be safe, Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    Cat sticks out about 3 inches on either side of the flange. The Dplate is just "the flange" stick your hanger in mark the depth, pull the hanger out and check your mark on the outside of the exhaust from the sensor hole to the flange , if its the same then dplate is there, if about 3 inch difference, cat.
    Most would tell you to pull the exhaust just to be safe, Hope that helps.
    Thanks, upgraded. The hanger will go about a foot and a half forward in vehicle, but this could be because the cat has blown through this area, correct? I thought there might be some telltale sign from the outside of the exhaust that the Dplate was installed (different material, etc). I just want to eliminate the possibility of removing or installing something incorrectly , as this is a family ride. Thanks again for the help!

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Your best be would be to take the time to pull the stinger out and make sure you're ok. You kind of answered your own question. maybe if you're not wanting to remove the exhaust to check for the dplate, someone else may have not wanted to mess with it so just decided to put the chip in since it was easy. Stranger things have happend.

On a side note, considering how often this question pops up "how to tell if I have a dplate" you'd think they would start to mark/stamp or label the edge of the plates.

Good luck

+1
    Rent or borrow a borescope and you can find out for sure without taking anything apart.

Thread Information