Thread: 97 stx1100 cdi

97 stx1100 cdi

This is my first post and my first jet ski. I bought a 97 stx 1100 last week. I knew the motor was shot but I only paid 300 for ski and trailer. Ok so I have a few questions.

I pulled the motor yesterday, while pulling the motor I found water in the cdi box. When I disconnected the stator fromt the cdi, by removing the two bolts from the cdi side cover and then disconnecting the two plugs for the stator. I noticed there was dirty water in the bottom of the cdi. There are two of the wire loom connectors that are gone so I think the water may have come in thru there. Is my cdi toast or is it possible that it may survive? I've attached some pics.

I'll save my other questions for another thread.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00726-20120611-1516.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	274242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00727-20120611-1516.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	274241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00728-20120611-1517.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	274240  

It's possible that it will live to run another day. You'll have to take it apart, flush everything out with something like isopropyl alcohol, then dry it with a hair dryer. You'll probably have to disassemble all the connectors and scrape the contacts clean. You can use a small jeweler's screwdriver to release the pins from the plastic plugs.

You'll also have to replace the missing pieces where the wires go into the CDI box.

Since it looks like this was submerged, you'll need to inspect your crankshaft for rust. It's possible that they sank it, then got it started and blew the water out and there's no damage to the engine, just the electronics.

id bet that box [and ski] has been subjected to salt water from the looks of that box, it may be simpler to replace the whole thing with another used box.

Thread Information