Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage TXi a good deal??

So I have been looking for my first ski for about a month in the $2500 to $3000 price range. Nothing too fancy.. just a solid starter ski to make sure I enjoy it before spending too much money. I don't mind working on one with a couple small issues to save some money and have moderate mechanical skills. I came across a 2002 Virage TXi with 50ish hours. It has been garage kept over the winters and is in pretty good cosmetic shape (some dock rash and needs cleaned and polished). Its not advertised right now and asking price is $2000. It comes with a nice single trailer, cover and needs a battery. It was last ran in late summer 2010 by a friend of mine and had the following issue then. I took a battery over and messed with it last week and it is still doing the same thing.

It will not start or idle without giving it throttle. It cranks good and as soon as you hit the throttle, it fires right up and the engine runs great throughout the RPM range until you let off the throttle and it will die again. It will stay running smoothly as long as you are giving it throttle. Thanks to all the great information on here, it sounds like a TPS or plugs (has autolites in it now). Local Polaris mechanic suggested to check the air temp sensor also. Worst case I guess is it would need the EMM rebuilt. Bottom line... I was thinking 1400-1500 is more reasonable for ski and trailer. Would it be worth that considering the trouble getting parts and mechanics for Polaris skis?

Banned User
    +1
    THe Autolites are the problem I am sure. NGK plugs only on this motor. That will probably fix the issue. I think the number is PZFR6H. If its in nice shape and needs nothing other than plugs, 2000 isn't a bad price with the trailer.

Thanks for the reply! It is a one owner with a good history. I believe I am gonna see if he'll come down on the price to allow for repairs and hope for a simple fix.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    +1 autolites just won't work and somebody that installed those had little real info on working that ski.. be prepared for sticker shock when you buy the correct plugs..that's no a mistake.

Bear in mind that polaris parts are scarce with most if not all of the major stuff no longer available. For me that knocks down the value of those skis considerably. I'd check the kbb before making any offer at all..book was surprising low in my area for a pretty nice polaris last year.

KBB is about $2600 and NADA is about $1200 with trailer. Not sure why the big difference in values. NADA seems more realistic to me considering the lack of servicing dealers and parts. Seems like if the wrong part breaks, you risk owning a scrap boat.

Banned User
    +1
    You can still pretty much find anything you need for these skis. You just have to look in the right places. This forum is the best place for finding parts and getting info. Currently there is nothing that could break that would render that ski junk.

+1
    So true, thats a nice ski. many parts are interchangeable too! it can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    You can still pretty much find anything you need for these skis. You just have to look in the right places. This forum is the best place for finding parts and getting info. Currently there is nothing that could break that would render that ski junk.
    This is good to hear. That was the main thing I was worried about.

Banned User
    +1
    There are still lots of parts available new from Polaris. The biggest thing with the Polaris skis, is you almost have to be able to fix them yourself because there aren't any dealers that will work on them. I like them because they give good performance, and are way cheaper to maintain then any of the other brands out there. Case in point, I am currently rebuilding a Polaris 1200 motor, I will probably have around 1100 bucks in the full rebuild. I bet rebuilding a Yamaha 1200 would cost twice that.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    what is it going to be like in 2-3 years? I'll agree they are good skis and even some seadoo stuff is problematic (case in point an expensive 2002 pump replacement due to discontinuance)..but if you like the ski and it.s in pristeen shape then go for it. Just be aware that you could be hunting in the future for -some- parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information