Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

03 RXDI fouling out plugs

I bought a RXDI with 150 hrs on and the guy I bought it from was using Yamalube 2W. I continued using Yamalube thinking I would eventually switch to something more Seadoo frendly like AMSOIL INTERCEPTOR. Now after a weedend on Harsens island fouling out expensive NGK plugs, I am forced to switch.
    My question is: What else besides spark plugs and oil do I have to replace or clean.( The RX would run better with new plugs but still had rough high end)
    Thanks... in advance

+1
    nothing wrong with yamalube. I like the 2R myself. If your machine is running "rough" it is not your oil you are using. You may have other issues.

PM sent.

+1
    It mostly fouls out plugs during long idling periods like a no wake zone. Plugs would me filthy and wet,high rpm would be @ 6000 to 6200. Then when I change plugs it runs fine until the next no wake zone. I have heard these RXDI machines can be prone to fouling during long idle periods. Don't you think the the wrong oil could make this condition worse?

As jim says, there are lots of things that can contribute to fouled plugs. Are they both fouling? If so, you can probably rule out leaky injectors, as it is rare to have both leaking at the same time. I agree with jim; it isn't likely Yamalube causing it.

A very basic thing to check on a '02+ DI LE engine (which is what you have): if someone prior to you put on a 2000-2001 cylinder assembly, you will get fouling of the plugs. If you post a picture of the head, we can tell you if you have the right engine in there.

+1
    Yes Sea Dood both plugs are fouled and the engine does look like it's been worked over. Heres that pic of the head. I also read online that Yamalube 2W is for Yamahas with catalytic converters....anything there?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02568.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	274360

Well, you have the LE (2002+) head, which is right for the year. But yes, the head has been off at one or more times before. The "fouling plugs" issue with mismatched parts (early and late) isn't really related to the head, it is the cylinder. The early cylinders had a 6 port design basically like the carb motors, and in 2002 they went to the 5 port design. It is possible to install a 6 port cylinder on this engine, and you will foul plugs. It is not hard to check it out. Pull one of the rave valves and look down the slot, you can see the rear-most exhaust port through the slot. I had a couple photos around here somewhere that shows the difference. I am at my lake house right now, or would take photos of the difference for you. I posted this info awhile back, but don't know where to start looking for the photos.

+1
    Thanks for the tips Sea Dood. Its guys like you, with tips and hidden nuggets, that make Green Hulk so interesting to browse. I'm not sure about tearing down to the reed valves just yet but did notice when I took the rave valves off that one was reel stuck with gummy oil. If one rave valve was stuck would that effect the top end?

Yes a gummed RAVE will effect the top end rpm and speed..

Seadoo reccomends using their XP-S 2 STROKE SYNTHETIC OIL as it was designed just for them..

You may also want to check the oil injector pump adjustment

Don't know if much of a price differance compared to yama-lube - http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-DOO-XP-S...a20807&vxp=mtr

+1
    This is an old post but I thought someone might be interested to know what the problem actually was. Turns out the coils were bad so I replaced them and the RXDI runs like it should.

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by roundtopjeff View Post
    This is an old post but I thought someone might be interested to know what the problem actually was. Turns out the coils were bad so I replaced them and the RXDI runs like it should.
    Thanks for the update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information