XLT1200 Carb settings

Well I'm rebuilding my carbs with F/A's. Ordering the jets and everything off Riva. From what I can tell viton tip needles have a rubber coating that promotes a better seal and reduced wear. I found the thread that talks about the jetting for the GPR. 110 pilots, 120 mains, 1.5 N&S and 95 gram spring. I'm assuming this holds true for the XLT also? I know they are both 66V engines. Just wanted to make sure. I'm going to be putting VF3 reeds in as well...just wondered if these affect the jet sizings at all. Thanks is advance.

+1
    XLT's are the same, you are on the right track with jet sizes for F/A, just do not forget to disable the accel pumps. I don't think the reeds will change jetting needs, maybe just fine tune high speed screw settings if necessary. Others chime in if you think differently.

Ok I figured they would be the same. I did read somewhere that when installing reeds you should up the main to 125's so I ordered a set of them. I removed the tamper caps lastnight using oside's howto and there were a couple times when the drill punched through and I thought i was f'ed. But I did get them out and they all turn freely.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Something about this build sounds strangely familiar. Are you going to remove the chokes and install a primer? I kinda wish i would have done it when i did mine. Youll love the vf3s. Itll rev like a sportbike.

Well I could remove and install....what are the advantages? The engine is finicky to start so I was planning on leaving the chokes for ease of starting. Where did you get your reeds? I've been looking and they are so damn expensive.

+1
    If you have a hard to start one, I would recommend adding a primer and doing away with chokes.(Or just not use them). That way you can have immediate cold starts, and not wear your starter out cranking. I don't know exactly why some are so hard to start, my GPR has always started right up, the XLT was bear if it was more than 3 days or so. Everything in the carbs worked right, accell pump worked, chokes closed all the way, just hard to start. Primer fixed it.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Just as stated, if you install a primer, the chokes are pretty much useless anyway so removing them just gives a little more airflow. I bought my VF3s with spacer from WFO. Yes they are expensive but if you're anything like me, you've probably spent more on less. :P

if you are going to use the covers with the flame arrestors lean out your lows some .I had hesitation and low misfire after carb redo -removed Riva covers and hasn't missed a beat in 1.5 years . Do remove the chokes and accel pumps well worth the couple xtra bucks . My 2000 XLL fires right away and doesn't need any warm up -I last rode it December 6 2011 in a snowstorm we got in Wisconsin . Just sold it 2day so I'm out of skis for now .

When installing the T-Handles do you guys keep the springs?

Thread Information