Polaris Genesis 2000 FFI 1200. No spark or power to MFI. bad stator need help

UPDATES: MFI is working (fuse looked good, but was bad), i removed stator and busted magnets from flywheel, hooked up 12VDC to all stator wires and cranked engine over. Have weak spark with that and i thought i heard the fuel pump kick on but not positive. going to have another go at it tomorrow morning when its a little cooler.

I'll try to condense the stats:
    2000 1200 FFI Genesis, bought not working. I'm going to part it, but would like to test as much of it before taking it down.

Known major issue: Flywheel missing teeth, magnets busted up and took out stator (Teeth broke first or magnets first? who knows..)

I cleaned out debris and magnets and theres just enough teeth to crank it over.

No spark or anything from the fuel system (don't hear fuel pump cycle)

I did get compression test at least, but would like to test out electronics..

main question is: Any way to bypass stator to power up FFI? any info on what i can power up with straight 12V to at least get a sign of life from would be appreciated.

I'm downloading manual and hopefully its got wiring diagram, but in the mean time any insider trading tips would be appreciated.
    Last edited by racerx711; 06-12-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: update

The EMM needs to see a signal from the flywheel speed sensor to get things going. Once that voltage is measured its starts the whole sequence. More than likely the broken flywheel debris took out this sensor, therefore you won't have spark or fuel.

12vDC on all stator wires and good crank sensor= spark right? well, weak spark but in theory it should work.

I just got down power washing the machine, so its drying up outside in the sun.. going to go out later and mess with it some more.

Want to test Coils, forward/reverse, Fuel Pump, Injectors/EMM and whatever else i can

Edit: i have manual and browsed it, got all the ohm #'s for a few parts i'll be able to test after i strip it down.. I think confirming the EMM is going to be impossible without the stator, but i'm open to idea's!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Ficht stator is very different from a carb engine stator.

The 12 volt section has almost nothing to do with running the engine. The important section is the 45 volt EMM stuff, which also powers the injectors.

There is a way you can string three batteries together to deliver around 36 volts positive to the injector White/Red wire bus. That will power up the EMM when the engine cranks and it might even start. Actually, even 24 volts should be enough for a start, but the EMM will not be happy about running with such a weak voltage.

Such a test will not tell you if the entire EMM is actually good, and you should not attempt to ride without the full 45 volt system operational.

The Ficht stator delivers a strong AC voltage into the 45 volt power section inside the EMM (12-pin connector). The EMM then delivers that 45 volt power through the 4-pin diagnostic loop connector (White/Red) and back into the EMM, where it also powers the injectors.

No riding this machine, jet pumps all been removed already.. really just want to test the emm and injectors to confirm they work so i can sell them

i have a few batteries available and i can run them in a series to create 24 or 36 volts no prob..

I tested the fuel pump and heard it run, but no fuel? so i removed it and found hose inside it broke off at the nipple on pump itself.. gotta fix that and re-install it first, then i'll try the 24 volts and see what happens and go from there..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Just to be clear, the fuel pump itself does run on 12 volt battery power. It has a direct fused connection to battery positive.

The EMM enables the fuel pump by grounding the brown fuel pump wire.

Only the injectors and EMM use the 45 volt power.

yup, aware of that..

i put + 24 volts to a white/red wire @ capacitor and it did fire up.

At least i was able to test the important items..

Thanks (and thanks again for all the great info you have on polaris pwc's its a awesome amount of useful info in one spot)

Got the ski parted out, engine looks to be in good shape inside.
    Everything is out and ready to sell..
    thanks for input

Thread Information