It runs great, for awhile

So I bought a 2003 MSX 140 with 60 hrs and the seller tells me never had a problem.He had it out twice in last 3 years. Now I have a problem.

I put it in the water it ran great for about 1/2 hour. Then it stalled. It started but would not throttle up without stalling. Couple hours later it started and ran great for about 10 minutes then at about 40 mph shut down. Again it would start but choked out as throttling up. Idled great. I thought perhaps plugs or fuel. Changed plugs, pumped out old fuel and took to lake the next week.

Long story short, 21 minutes ran great at all speeds then it stalled. It starts but will not take throttle. At idle speed it made it back to the dock. It idled back to the launch area.It looks great on the water, on the trailer and in my garage. If only somebody could help me make it run all day.

Any help out there?

+1
    check the fuel pressure

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tax man View Post
    So I bought a 2003 MSX 140 with 60 hrs and the seller tells me never had a problem.He had it out twice in last 3 years. Now I have a problem.

I put it in the water it ran great for about 1/2 hour. Then it stalled. It started but would not throttle up without stalling. Couple hours later it started and ran great for about 10 minutes then at about 40 mph shut down. Again it would start but choked out as throttling up. Idled great. I thought perhaps plugs or fuel. Changed plugs, pumped out old fuel and took to lake the next week.

Long story short, 21 minutes ran great at all speeds then it stalled. It starts but will not take throttle. At idle speed it made it back to the dock. It idled back to the launch area.It looks great on the water, on the trailer and in my garage. If only somebody could help me make it run all day.

Any help out there?
    Per my signature links, you may need a replacement TPS.

OK, Let me be really stupid here. what is a TPS and what does it do. Tell me about this TPS gadget.

+1
    OK, Let me be really stupid here. what is a TPS and what does it do?

Tell me about this TPS gadget.
    Start here;

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Thank you, Are they hard to get. Where do I find them. In my area there are no Polaris dealers or any other PWC dealers in at least a 100 miles.

+1
    Thank you, Are they hard to get. Where do I find them. In my area there are no Polaris dealers or any other PWC dealers in at least a 100 miles.
    I buy them online.

This list is somewhat in need of updating but still a useful starting point.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....-parts-sources

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I buy them online.

This list is somewhat in need of updating but still a useful starting point.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....-parts-sources
    I found that the oil line under the oil injection tank was crimped almost to the point where the oil could not pass through it. In your opinion could this cause the machine to shut down after it heats up. I want to exhaust all the obvious before buying parts that I really dont need.

By the way, thanks for your patience. I wish I would have paid more attention when all my friends were working on motors. I was watchinh sports and drinking beer.

+1
    I found that the oil line under the oil injection tank was crimped almost to the point where the oil could not pass through it. In your opinion could this cause the machine to shut down after it heats up. I want to exhaust all the obvious before buying parts that I really dont need.

By the way, thanks for your patience. I wish I would have paid more attention when all my friends were working on motors. I was watchinh sports and drinking beer.
    We do that too, just gotta prioritize the time!

I don't think lack of oil to the engine would shut it down, I could be wrong the emm (computer) seems to do a lot of cool things on these skis. You don't want that line blocked or crimped, that will ultimately lead to a major engine failure and you don't want that. Get the TPS as K447 suggests, don't buy second hand you can still get the new from partspitstop.com for 68 bucks. Part number is 2202740. The TPS is connected to your throttle body.

Thanks much Urugol. I am hoping the TPS that I ordered will fix this problem. I bought this ski for the kids and grandkids without much support from my wife. I look like a sucker right now.

Thread Information