Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Tig welder in Chicago area

Is there anybody in the group in or near Chicago that can do the o2 bung weld on my j-pipe and pressure test it when done?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by warsawspeedfreak View Post
    Is there anybody in the group in or near Chicago that can do the o2 bung weld on my j-pipe and pressure test it when done?
    I tig weld for a living. If you want to ship it to me here in Morgan City, LA I'd be happy to weld it for you!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by warsawspeedfreak View Post
    Yep, send a pm forum member: speed_freak_039A, Nick. He lives in plainfield and he does at great job at tig welding, many of us have used him for some of our projects

Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    I tig weld for a living. If you want to ship it to me here in Morgan City, LA I'd be happy to weld it for you!
    Hey Bruce, I have a general question for you about these J-pipes. I am a pretty accomplished TIG welder, (I have a Miller Syncrowave 350 setup), but would hesitate to weld the '05+ J-pipes, and wonder how people are doing it.

Just to clarify, the 2004 pipes are stainless, which is a piece of cake to weld. However, the 2005+ ones are Inconel, which is a bitch to weld on a good day. Is there any special rods or prep that would ensure consistent results with these Inconel pipes?

+1
    I've never had to weld Inconel as 100% of all the TIG welding I do is stainless and mild steel. However, from what people have told me some of the main things to keep in mind is you don't need much heat at all to weld it. Probably 1/2 if not less than what you would use for stainless. Also, using as big a diameter cup as possible so you get good gas shielding, and keep your tip as close to the weld as you can.
    As far as rods, I'm pretty sure inconel filler rods exist. However, you'll need to know what grade of Inconel it is the J Pipe is made of.
    Like I said, I've never personally welded it.

I would think that inconel rods would be pretty expensive. I've tried to buy specialty rods before, and they usually make you buy like 10 lb's at a go, when you only need a couple....

I've seen lots of bung hole modified j-pipes on here, I would think many are inconel. Maybe whoever welds them up doesn't realize what they are and are using standard 308 or 316 SS rods?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I would think that inconel rods would be pretty expensive. I've tried to buy specialty rods before, and they usually make you buy like 10 lb's at a go, when you only need a couple....

I've seen lots of bung hole modified j-pipes on here, I would think many are inconel. Maybe whoever welds them up doesn't realize what they are and are using standard 308 or 316 SS rods?
    If you know someone at a local welding supply shop you could probably get just 2 or 3 rods out of him.
    From what I've read, if your bung is stainless you CAN use just stainless filler rods and it will work, but I doubt it would be as strong a weld as using inconel filler rods.
    But really, your exhaust isn't going to have a bunch of pressure on it. Using just regular stainless rods will probably be more than suitable for whatever small amount of pressure your exhaust may see. Your only concern is that you don't have any leaks. In which case just pressure testing to like 2-3 lbs with soapy water sprayed on the weld would tell you if you have any pin holes.

+1
    Thanks for the replies...I'll look into it...

+1
    Hey Bruce, I have a general question for you about these J-pipes. I am a pretty accomplished TIG welder, (I have a Miller Syncrowave 350 setup), but would hesitate to weld the '05+ J-pipes, and wonder how people are doing it.

Just to clarify, the 2004 pipes are stainless, which is a piece of cake to weld. However, the 2005+ ones are Inconel, which is a bitch to weld on a good day. Is there any special rods or prep that would ensure consistent results with these Inconel pipes?
    Yes you would definitely need Inconel rods and not SS. The tricky think about Inconel is the weld appears "cold" so many turn the heat up as a result and burn thru. I would recommend purging the inside as well.

We had an Inconel job at my work not too mong ago and i will see if we have some tig rods. If so i can cut them down to 10" or so and mail them to you if you want

+1
    why not use the R&D spacer with the bung hole in it.i would think it would be cheaper and it moves the water box back so supercharger removal is easier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information