Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 polaris slt 780 pump wont turn

I am new to this site and am glad that i found it..i just bought a 1997 slt 780 in tip top shape for a great price and just got her home..This is my first time owning a ski but i am very familiar with 2 strokes ( i have a cr250, rm 250,& kx 85)..when i went to start it the motor wants to turn but something in the back is froze up and isnt allowing to turn..the guy i got it from said a mechanic said the worm screw is locked up..is that something that is hard to fix and how much is the part? i am very mechanically inclined and can do it myself but would really love some help because i know there are alot of people on here who know these like the back of their hand..please let me know where i should start and thanks in advance..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by theskindoctor View Post
    I am new to this site and am glad that i found it..i just bought a 1997 slt 780 in tip top shape for a great price and just got her home..This is my first time owning a ski but i am very familiar with 2 strokes ( i have a cr250, rm 250,& kx 85)..when i went to start it the motor wants to turn but something in the back is froze up and isnt allowing to turn..the guy i got it from said a mechanic said the worm screw is locked up..is that something that is hard to fix and how much is the part? i am very mechanically inclined and can do it myself but would really love some help because i know there are alot of people on here who know these like the back of their hand..please let me know where i should start and thanks in advance..
    You can start by removing the jet pump by unbolting the 4 long bolts holding the nozzle to the wear ring. Once you pull it out, you can inspect the pump bearings and impeller for seizure. The term "worm screw" doesn't apply here.. The motor is directly connected to the impeller via a straight drive shaft with splined ends. See these diagrams for more details:

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...0-DRIVE-SYSTEM
    http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...780-PROPULSION

And welcome to the Hulk!!!

thanks so so much..i am so so stoked to ride this thing..i can tell this thing hasnt had much use..how fast will this ski run and is there a way to make it run fast speeds..is it a good ski, this is my first one..thanks again and i am glad that i found u all

+1
    thanks so so much..i am so so stoked to ride this thing..i can tell this thing hasnt had much use..how fast will this ski run and is there a way to make it run fast speeds..is it a good ski, this is my first one..thanks again and i am glad that i found u all
    This is the tough part..... You really need to read up on all of the information here http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ before you take it out. You need to inspect the fuel system and make sure all of the necessary updates are done, or you may risk burning up a piston or other failures. Read, ask questions, read some more, and make sure you understand the complete current condition of your ski before you take it out. You have a Fuji motor in yours FYI. They are fun and yours should run in the upper 40's to lower 50's if I remember correctly...... You will find that most economical mods available will increase handling and acceleration, with little gains in overall top speed. I couldn't believe how many different aftermarket parts there were for these skis when I got started.........

Where are you located?

+1
    By the way, we love to see pics!!

pics

how do i post pics on here..i am new to this but not to computersw...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    By the way, we love to see pics!!

i am located in myrtle beach south carolina..thanks again..BIG TIME

Banned User
    +1
    SLT 780 will run right around 50MPH. You have a 97???? Much better looking than the 96 was. I would be willing to bet the jet pump needs a rebuild. Around 50 bucks for parts to do that. Gives you new bearings, seals and o rings. Just make sure the carbs are internally clean and the rubber parts are all in good condition. The 780 fuel pumps are good, no need to replace that. MAke sure your fue shut off valve operates properly and doesn't restrict flow.

+1
    how do i post pics on here..i am new to this but not to computersw...
    Not the easiest, but click on "go advanced", then scroll down to "manage attchments" a new window will pop up. Click in the upper right for "add files", you should be able to figure it out from there....

Files need to be right around 100 kb to work best. If you get an error, check your file sizes....

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    SLT 780 will run right around 50MPH. You have a 97???? Much better looking than the 96 was. I would be willing to bet the jet pump needs a rebuild. Around 50 bucks for parts to do that. Gives you new bearings, seals and o rings. Just make sure the carbs are internally clean and the rubber parts are all in good condition. The 780 fuel pumps are good, no need to replace that. MAke sure your fue shut off valve operates properly and doesn't restrict flow.
    Where is the cheapest best place to buy parts thst ur talking about? Do they sell it as a whole kit. It would probably be better to do that anyway. Thanks for everyone's post. I want to get these parts ASAP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information