Mid shaft spinning but nothing after that....HELP

So i have an 01 gp1200r and I put my ski in the water, the motor runs fine but the propellor isn't spinning. Thought it might be the mid shaft spindles but that is spinning also. The propeller spins free when the ski is shut off when I push it. Im kinda stumped. Anyone have any idea? Thanks
    FYI new to the Waverunner world so take it easy on me

+1
    Could the impeller be unscrewed off the shaft threads?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipyou321 View Post
    So i have an 01 gp1200r and I put my ski in the water, the motor runs fine but the propellor isn't spinning. Thought it might be the mid shaft spindles but that is spinning also. The propeller spins free when the ski is shut off when I push it. Im kinda stumped. Anyone have any idea? Thanks
    FYI new to the Waverunner world so take it easy on me

The mid shaft will spin since it is attached to the engine, but the splines inside the mid shaft are more than likely eaten away. They probably have just enough contact with the pump shaft splines that they will turn the impeller with no load (i.e. on the trailer), but when you put a load on it (i.e. put it into the water), the shaft and impeller will not turn.

Remove your pump and inspect with a strong flashlight the inside of the mid shaft to see if you still have any splines internally. If not, replace. Also check the splines on the pump shaft. If the pump shaft splines are more pointed than round (hopefully they are squared), you should also think about getting a new pump shaft. If not, one bad component will prematurelly wear out the other.

Pulled the mid shaft and jet shaft, they were both warn so i will be replacing. It also looked like my wear ring for the impeller has been dented some how and the impeller is rubbing it so that it can not spin free. Do i just replace the wear ring or will the impeller just work itself in?

+1
    the original impeller housing may have swelled up. if it did, that housing would need to be replaced. i believe the options are an oem housing or aftermarket with a replaceable lining. when i got my "gentlyu used" jet ski, and had to installed a newhousing, i went with the wsm and a replaceable lining. definitely works well. good luck michael

Thread Information