Angry major project... sl780 complete overhaul

hey guys i bought a slt780 with a bad topend ( i thought and was told) when i was re assembling it i found one of the connecting rods had very minute grooves in the bearing surface on one cylinder. it needs fixing. i managed to get the crankshaft out. im juts not sure what i should do. send the block and the crankshaft away to get fixed or just order a new crankshaft and instal it myself. any ideas. ive got good skills mechanically im just not sure where to start. never done this kind of thing before.
    also i have a sl 750 engine for any parts required.
    while im here does anyone know if the carbs of the 750 would work on the 780? thanks
    Jamie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieCraigGreenfield View Post
    hey guys i bought a slt780 with a bad topend ( i thought and was told) when i was re assembling it i found one of the connecting rods had very minute grooves in the bearing surface on one cylinder. it needs fixing. i managed to get the crankshaft out. im juts not sure what i should do. send the block and the crankshaft away to get fixed or just order a new crankshaft and instal it myself. any ideas. ive got good skills mechanically im just not sure where to start. never done this kind of thing before.
    also i have a sl 750 engine for any parts required.
    while im here does anyone know if the carbs of the 750 would work on the 780? thanks
    Jamie
    Welcome to the Hulk!

You should be able to make the swap yourself. In fact, if the 750 has a good crank, it is interchangeable with the 780 crank.

The 750 carbs will work, but there are several features in the 780 carbs that are desirable. What is wrong with your 780 carbs, or do they fail to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!

You should be able to make the swap yourself. In fact, if the 750 has a good crank, it is interchangeable with the 780 crank.

The 750 carbs will work, but there are several features in the 780 carbs that are desirable. What is wrong with your 780 carbs, or do they fail to exist?
    thanks a billion man

let me rewrite my story a little haha you wouldnt believe it i allready knew this... so i bought the two skis broken knowing the bottom end in the 780 was toast. i stripped them both down ordered new top end and started assembling everything onto the 750 bottom end. thats when i found the 750 bottom end was also toast. fml.

sorry if i confuse you now i just didnt have time to write all that this morning.

nothing wrong with the 780 carbs just the 750 carbs are still together on the block the 780 carbs are in 5 different boxes and probably missing parts.

actually this motor is not even intended to go back in a ski. im building a small jetboat... here is my project thread. http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/i...?topic=22498.0

the thread is in new zealand. i am from there but i live in alberta right now

one question regarding the crank replacement.

does the block need machining at all to put the new crank in? or can it just go right in seems the surface where the bearing sits is a little damaged on the 780. not major could probably sand it out with a few scuffs of sand paper. havent looked at the 750 yet. maybe its in better shape considering the bearings never fully ceased

Thread Information