Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Fuel Gauge Question on 2008 STX15

I have a 2008 STX15 and the fuel gauge is not accurate at all. The bars are constantly changing (either more or less) and the single bar/low fuel beep comes on when there is still tons of gas left. Is there any way to adjust the float or purchase an aftermarket part to make this feature more accurate? I don't understand the point of having a 16 gallon tank if the ski is going to tell you that you have 1/6 of a tank after burning 8 gallons of fuel. Thanks.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    nope, it's a float system you cant fix it.

I use an aftermarket gauge with a 2 wire sender that is floatless. You might be able to swap to the ultra 250 style sending unit and level sender but I am not sure, it uses a single float.

Sean

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    When the ski starts beeping you have almost 7 gallons left. Push the mode button to stop the beeping. I personally like the early warning. 7 gallons @ 5 mpg and I know I can go roughly 35 more miles. This may seem excessive to some but to some of us it is good.
    It is not a servicable item and it costs a bit to replace.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I'm with you Rod, rather too soon than too late.

Sean

I have a modified fuel sendor that takes you near empty. Was In my 06 stx15f before I sold it. It is still a bit quirky but works okay. $25+ shipping and it is yours.

+1
    I have the same issue with my 06 15f & was irritated that when the low fuel starts you lose all the other functions, but discovered last weekend that once the low fuel starts beeping go to idle speed & then push the set button for a few seconds, this way you can use your other functions as normal, fuel bar still flashes, but then I can set it to the mileage mode & I know how far I can go on a tank as long as it was reset when I filled up & can still check the clock function too.

how many miles are you getting from a full tank?

This weekend I did 40 miles and had almost 1/2 tank left on the meter.

+1
    I can get 90+ miles on a tank. 2 weekends ago I rode 75 miles on a full tank & when I stopped at the gas station on the way home I put in 11.4 gallons,(tank is 16 gallons) I only fill till the hose clicks off, I don't top it off,(started the same way) I opened the hood to see the level in the tank & it looks like I could get one more gallon in if I fill very slow. I know I can go at least 25 miles after the low fuel starts flashing. My low fuel flash starts at 60 miles. This is at mostly 3/4 to full throttle.

+1
    Hm... You guys seem to be getting better gas mileage than me. I had a full tank (filled exactly the same way/to the same level each time) and rode for 38.8 miles yesterday. The fuel buzzer went off at about 37 miles. Today I filled the tank to the level it was at before I rode yesterday and it took 8.908 gallons of gas. By my calculations, I am only getting about 4.35 miles per gallon. This is extremely poor considering I believe the advertised MPG for this ski is about 11MPG at WOT, is it not? I bought the ski a few months ago with 33 hours on it and the ski now has 50 hours. It had new plugs and new oil at the beginning of the season and a friend of mine who is a mechanic at the local dealership when through the jet pump and checked the motor for any unknown issues. What could be causing my gas issue?

+1
    What kind of speed & rpms are you running, also any modfications to this ski? Sound like something is not right, these skis get very good mpg (compared to most).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information