Thread: SHO Pump Tunnel

+1

SHO Pump Tunnel

Hey guys, noob here to the PWC world. I just bought a 2009 FX SHO with 18 hrs on it. I had it looked over at the local Yamaha Dealer and they said it's in excellent condition. My question is I've been reading about this pump tunnel cracking issue on the Yamaha's. Is this only from modding the ski or is this happening to bone stock ski's ? I don't jump wakes or do any ocean riding, just mainly rivers and lakes, do I have to worry much about this issue ?

Thanks

+1
    do I have to worry much about this issue ?

Just, don't crank down too hard on your rear tie-down straps - just tight enough to keep the rear of the ski from bouncing on the trailer when you tow. FZR/S setup is different than FX, there's a bit more to it on that platform and that hull seems more prone to cracking.

+1
    If it's stock or mildly modded, you don't have anything to worry about. Like Kelly said, don't over-tighten the rear straps. They should just be snug, not cranked down.

+1
    Thanks guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    do I have to worry much about this issue ?

Just, don't crank down too hard on your rear tie-down straps - just tight enough to keep the rear of the ski from bouncing on the trailer when you tow. FZR/S setup is different than FX, there's a bit more to it on that platform and that hull seems more prone to cracking.
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    If it's stock or mildly modded, you don't have anything to worry about. Like Kelly said, don't over-tighten the rear straps. They should just be snug, not cranked down.
    Overtightening transom straps has nothing to do with tunnel failures. I haven't had a look inside a '12 SHO yet, but all prior year FX's(SHO & HO) lack the factory reinforcement Yamaha started using with the FZ's. Secondly, they use a different mounting system for the intake grate. Instead of mounting the grate to the transom plate, they have hull inserts on each side of the tunnel. When using an aftermarket scoop grate, the downward force on the grate stresses the hull in the tunnel area. Cracked tunnels are more common for people who do lots of rough water riding because the constant hooking & unhooking causes the tunnel to flex & weaken over time. It's been a well known weak link that GPR owners have been dealing with for years. Even though the factory reinforcent on the FZ is kinda cheesy & halfass, at least Yamaha finally adressed the issue with that model...only took them 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Hey guys, noob here to the PWC world. I just bought a 2009 FX SHO with 18 hrs on it. I had it looked over at the local Yamaha Dealer and they said it's in excellent condition. My question is I've been reading about this pump tunnel cracking issue on the Yamaha's. Is this only from modding the ski or is this happening to bone stock ski's ? I don't jump wakes or do any ocean riding, just mainly rivers and lakes, do I have to worry much about this issue ?

Thanks
    You probably have nothing to worry about with the type of riding you do. I have heard of a couple near stock SHO's cracking tunnels though. The only way to be 100% sure is to install 305coco's reinforcement available in the online store.
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1337

Thread Information