Question Help troubleshooting propulsion issue

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I've looked all over and never found a true answer to help my problem. I'm new to the PWC world and finding to be a little more trouble than ever to find help in the local area so I'm turning to the Internet world.

I bought 2 jetski's on last Friday, 1 was suppose to be water ready and the other was suppose to be just a shell. After looking at it, I've found the water ready one was not really water ready. It is a 96 Seadoo SPI and it wouldn't start. The guy knocked off some money and said it was just a starter, other than that it was fine. After researching, i found the battery was actually dead with 2 volts. I replaced the battery and it turned over like a champ, no problems turning over but it still wouldn't start. I drained all the gas as it smelt bad and was yellow, but my problems still continued as it seemed it was getting no gas. I went on a search looking for help in the local area to clean the carb but found I have to travel at least an hour to get some help which was 2 1/2 weeks behind.

As I was desperate to get on the water, I decided to take apart the jetski and clean the carb my self. I found the jet plugged and the filter is clogged. I cleaned everything and put it back together. I turned it over and it started just fine now.

I dropped it in Lake Michigan on Monday and idled through our long harbor to Lake Michigan. Once I made it out, I hopped on the throttle to not go any where fast. I would have to say i hit a top speed of 10 mph. I could hear the motor rev up just fine and didn't seem to stutter. I turned around and i could see a trail of water being moved but I still didn't go anywhere.

Does anyone have any Ideas that I could look at to help make this run. I'm itching to go out on the water but don't want to wait forever and pay a fortune. I have a little mechanical knowledge so I would try just about anything. There are a few nicks on the propeller, but doesn't look like its damaged and didn't see anything stuck in there.

Sorry for my long story, but Thanks in advance for any help and guidance you can give me!

Steven

Well I wanted to follow up on this, This has been a nightmare to figure out since I'm lost. After taking it to the lake the second time it still didn't go. I let it sit in my garage overnight without looking at it since I came back late. I went out the next day and found about 6 inches of water inside the jet ski. I of coarse drained it and let it sit. Afterwards I attempted to start it but it would no longer start again. My next idea is to change the gas lines since I've found allot of posts to change the gray gas lines. I was going to change the oil lines and water lines as well.

I'm not sure how the water got in there. Anyone please have any ideas what to check?

I want to pull it apart on Tuesday since I'm off, but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I did just order the waterline adapter since it didn't come with one, and that should come Tuesday as well.

Thanks!

Steven

+1
    Welcome to the forum. Here you will find good advise

1st water inside hull: An easy test you could do is to take a hose an fill with a little water the hull from inside (just enough to cover the drive shaft and look under the ski to see if notice any leak from the hull or the pump area. (remember to put the drain plugs in place so dont get confused)

As for the starting problem : Since some water entered the hull the fuel and electrical system must be checked.

First thing : Does it have spark? If not check grounds and fuses also go to the electrical box to see if there is water or wet components. at this ponint some marine lubricant (sea doo lube or 656 would be usefull)'
    If it has spark get some carb cleaner and spray some direct to the carbs or inside the air box and crank it . (be carefull with back fires ) if it turns on the engine clean and adjust the carbs again. Replacing the fuel lines is a must so now it's a good time to do it.

hope it helps.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AndinoWatercraft View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Here you will find good advise

1st water inside hull: An easy test you could do is to take a hose an fill with a little water the hull from inside (just enough to cover the drive shaft and look under the ski to see if notice any leak from the hull or the pump area. (remember to put the drain plugs in place so dont get confused)

As for the starting problem : Since some water entered the hull the fuel and electrical system must be checked.

First thing : Does it have spark? If not check grounds and fuses also go to the electrical box to see if there is water or wet components. at this ponint some marine lubricant (sea doo lube or 656 would be usefull)'
    If it has spark get some carb cleaner and spray some direct to the carbs or inside the air box and crank it . (be carefull with back fires ) if it turns on the engine clean and adjust the carbs again. Replacing the fuel lines is a must so now it's a good time to do it.

hope it helps.

Thanks so much for the reply, i'm looking for every bit of help to understand the world of jetski's.

I'll check all that out tomorrow, It didn't look like the water made it to the fuse panel, but I will check that as well. It did run for an hour after I cleaned the carb out, this makes me think there is something wrong with the fuel lines. The spark plugs were the first thing I replaced when I bought it.

Do you have any suggestions on why the jetski wouldn't go? It looked like there was water being pushed but it just didn't go fast at all. The motor did rev up. I'm not sure if the bearing needed to be greased on the drive shaft and that was creating resistance? I would just love to have it water ready for the weekend.

+1
    when find out there was water inside the hull did you put back the seat and head out. ? If do the amount of air inside the hull was not enough for the carbs and that can cause lack of power.

On those models the jet pump it's bolted directly to the hull . If it could be removed check the clearence betwen the impeller blades and the pump walls. There is a part called wear ring that if it's too worn can give that kind of symptom off reving up and poor moving. Here are some threads about servicing pumps and wear rings. take a look. and keep posting.

I'm no expert but here are some great guys that can help.

Thread Information