Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 Polaris SL750 - NEED HELP FOR MY KIDS

Hello Forum. I have a 1994 Polaris SL750 that after a incredibly long divorce battle I have finally got from my ex-wife. My kids are now old enough to enjoy this ski as I did but I am having a few problems and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

This ski has not been run in 7 years..... it has been covered and when I removed the seat everything looks clean and quiet. I have just connected a battery as all I am looking for is a turning of the motor before I start buying parts - just to make sure not locked up.

1. As I hit the start button I get acknowledgement from the starter with a solid bump and that is it. Every time the same thing. Starter acknowledged and nothing else. Any ideas?

2. I have also filled the inside engine cavity to look for leaks and have alot of water coming out where the drive shaft goes thru the bearing and out of the hull. I am not sure if this is normal or should that be water tight?

Trying to get this up and running for my kids without breaking the bank. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by coach.mike.hodges; 06-13-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: misspelling

Banned User
    +1
    Driveshaft seals are bad........Easy and cheap fix. I bet the jet pump is locked up. Remove the jet pump and see if you can turn the motor over by hand with the coupler. Remove the spark plugs to do this.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

How much water did you put inside the hull?

I figured the seals were bad but never thought of the pump being locked up for it having a starting issue. I will try that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

How much water did you put inside the hull?
    I did not put much. My son remembered that it took on a little water last time it was used so I was just checking the hull. I blocked off the front end of the hull and went just up to the base of the coupler to check those bearing seals as well.

+1
    Yeah... the through-hull-bearing/seal-carrier is a common leak point. After you remove the jet pump (4 long bolts and gently pry it loose) pull the driveshaft out too. Then you can undo the hose clamps on the hose that holds this carrier to the hull (on the inside). Remove the hose from the carrier and check out each seal on either end. They are probably old and dry and needing replaced. Also slide this whole carrier back on the driveshaft to the part on it where it rides and make sure the it still rides fairly snug against the driveshaft... not too much slop... meaning the two bushings inside the carrier are still okay. The seals on either end can be pried out gently and new ones tapped back in. Do a search on the forum for the part number and/or size (you might be able to find them local at a bearing supply place)

Besides a stuck jet pump preventing the engine from turning over... it also could be a weak battery. Give you just a noise without enough juice to turn it. Try removing your spark plugs and putting a squirt of oil down in there in case your rings are froze to the cylinders. Might be able to break them free with minimal harm.

All that said. You really need to do some maintenance on a 7 year sitting ski before you even think of actually starting it. See K447's signature above for a link to the Polaris knowledge bank. Read, read and read more... then heed and do it. Especially the fuel system.

Good luck. I know how much my kids and all the cousins love the skis!

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Yeah... the through-hull-bearing/seal-carrier is a common leak point. After you remove the jet pump (4 long bolts and gently pry it loose) pull the driveshaft out too. Then you can undo the hose clamps on the hose that holds this carrier to the hull (on the inside). Remove the hose from the carrier and check out each seal on either end. They are probably old and dry and needing replaced. Also slide this whole carrier back on the driveshaft to the part on it where it rides and make sure the it still rides fairly snug against the driveshaft... not too much slop... meaning the two bushings inside the carrier are still okay. The seals on either end can be pried out gently and new ones tapped back in. Do a search on the forum for the part number and/or size (you might be able to find them local at a bearing supply place)

Besides a stuck jet pump preventing the engine from turning over... it also could be a weak battery. Give you just a noise without enough juice to turn it. Try removing your spark plugs and putting a squirt of oil down in there in case your rings are froze to the cylinders. Might be able to break them free with minimal harm.

All that said. You really need to do some maintenance on a 7 year sitting ski before you even think of actually starting it. See K447's signature above for a link to the Polaris knowledge bank. Read, read and read more... then heed and do it. Especially the fuel system.

Good luck. I know how much my kids and all the cousins love the skis!

Thanks. The drive shaft thru the bearings and hull is sloppy. I am not trying to actually start at this point just looking for a "turn" of the motor before I start sinking money into the ski.

I have removed the pump/impeller/drive shaft assembly and still have the same thing happening. I am attaching a video of the noise I get when I try to start my ski. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

+1
    Can you reach down and grab the pto driveshaft coupler and turn over the engine (w/o plugs)? You should be able to.
    If you can... then could be the starter or starter bendix
    If you can't... then perhaps frozen rings or maybe something jammed on flywheel or stuck on the starter bendix.

Is your battery strong? A weak battery will do this. Looks like your using a larger lawn/garden battery for testing.

Yes, I am using a stronger battery for testing. I cannot move the coupler at all. Should I remove the covers and take a look at the pistons or what would be my next step?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information