+1

1200 Bogging after sustained idle

Looking for opinions...a guy bought a 99 XL1200. It has a recently installed SBT with a D plate and chip, rebuilt carbs, power valves are functioning. The unit seems to run great as long as you are running in a "speed zone". But when he idles thru a slow zone, it bogs when leaving the slow zone. I assumed it was rich and loading up so I raised the idle a bit and took it to the water. Ran great until I let it idle on the trailer for a few minutes. I backed it off the trailer and when I stabbed the throttle, it fell on it's face and just bogged until I feathered the throttle and got the rpm up. It then seemed to be normal until it ran on a sustained idle again. No smoke, no sputter, it appears to be a lean condition, not rich. Again, it runs great straight out of the chute. Accelerates good, good top end, good response. Ideas? Pop-off messed up during rebuild? Thanks.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiNut View Post
    Looking for opinions...a guy bought a 99 XL1200. It has a recently installed SBT with a D plate and chip, rebuilt carbs, power valves are functioning. The unit seems to run great as long as you are running in a "speed zone". But when he idles thru a slow zone, it bogs when leaving the slow zone. I assumed it was rich and loading up so I raised the idle a bit and took it to the water. Ran great until I let it idle on the trailer for a few minutes. I backed it off the trailer and when I stabbed the throttle, it fell on it's face and just bogged until I feathered the throttle and got the rpm up. It then seemed to be normal until it ran on a sustained idle again. No smoke, no sputter, it appears to be a lean condition, not rich. Again, it runs great straight out of the chute. Accelerates good, good top end, good response. Ideas? Pop-off messed up during rebuild? Thanks.
    to rich on the low end.

Thread Information