Need help with fuel issue on 2000 genesis (carb)

Okay first off I think the support and information on this forum is amazing. Okay so now the current issue. Bought this Polaris from a buddy of mine sat for two years almost. Rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump installed new boyssen power reeds while down inside due to it idling fine stay running most of the time at low speed but get on it and the throttle sometimes gives it gas other times cause power to decrease or weaken aalmost always resulting in shut off. It restarts easily and check valve for vent seems very hard to open lots of pressure required. Ran without gas cap (on trailer obviously) and it seems to make little or no difference. Check valve needs replaced? Aside from that I feel like the fuel lines may be the issue at this point I have recently read much about the "gray fuel lines" and this baby has got them I believe. I also really would like to know how to tune the carbs on this thing with aftermarket reeds. Any jet modification or is it fine with stock carb set up? She just gets starved for fuel whenever throttle is wide open or if you try to give gas fast. Fuel issue...gotta be. All help is greatly appreciated!!!thanks in advance, David / Dstox (new to forum)

FYI it had this issue before clean/ rebuild carbs. Seems to start easy now and idle decent but not much difference when you play with throttle.

Banned User
    +1
    Look in the carb throats and see if the accel pump is squirting gas when you open the throttle. The little nozzles for it are at the top of the carb opening and they squirt straight down.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You rebuilt the carbs but did not remove the old gray fuel lines. So gunk from inside those old fuel lines may have re-clogged the newly rebuilt carbs.

You may need to change the fuel lines and re-clean the carbs.

How thoroughly did you clean those carbs during rebuild? Spray carb cleaner through the small passages?

Genuine OEM rebuild kits?

Yes there is fuel squirting down throats. Wish I would have found the gray fuel lines issue before cleaning the carbs but anyway yeah rebuild kits were oem and they were cleaned every orifice and part with generous amount of carb cleaner. Tore completely apart every piece removed and replaced where nessecary as the kit provided and reinstalled exactly as it was torn apart. Those fuel lines are really as bad as they say sounds like they gotta go. They can cause this?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstox View Post
    ... Those fuel lines are really as bad as they say sounds like they gotta go. They can cause this?
    Have a look, about half way down the web page;
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....omestic-engine

Thanks man. Yeah those pics tell the story. Well I'll get on that I suppose and keep ya posted on this thread I appreciate the help guys and thanks for taking the time to reply!!!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i'm battling accl pump issues my self right now on 2 BRAND NEW sets of carbs,one set is fixed by replacing the accl pump dia.the other set is looking to be the exact same thing.the last set will spray some fuel but only when the throttle is squeezed wot,partial throttle you don't see any fuel spray.pumping the throttle a couple times quickly always gets the ski to rev up in the water and takeoff.i've also seen where the plastic check ball in the accl pump metering block distorts and won't seal off,i've replaced mine with steel.

I've gotta get some new hose still but I was investigating and cut a piece open and it doesn't show any signs of the green slime I've seen and heard a lot about. I'm going to replace it all for good measure but you think the acellerator pump could be causing issues on mine as well. If so how do I check this for proper operation? Also if I just changed reeds out does it need any modification other than just tuning carbs?

So if throats have fuel squirting at partial throttle accel pump is okay? Cause it seems my issue is only when the demand for fuel is great it doesn't deliver on the water. Intermittent burst of speed for split second then bogs down to shut off.

Thread Information